Gutted ... will I ever be fit ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Hey guys :)

Right this is the question ...

I been cycling now for about 8 months, in that time I have clocked up 805 miles, mainly XC.

I have gone from being out of breath doing a 3 mile lap round my local trail centre to doing a 40 mile run, so I thought I had come on a long way and my fitness was up to a decent level.

However, tonight I rode with an old school friend who I hadnt seen for 15 years, were both 36.

We went for a run and he totally, and I mean ... totally smoked me ! ... :( All my thoughts I had of being fit were shattered, he seemed to float over any obsticle, and when a hill came and I was giving it my all and what I feel is a good decent pace, he was on one wheel up the hill takin his time, I just dont get it.

Legs felt strong, lung capacity was good, so how can this be happening ?

All I can think right now, and this is what I wanted to ask ...

Could it be because hes lighter than me ? hes about 5'6 and about 11 stone, I am 5'9, quite muscley as I go to the gym every week-day but i'm carrying some bodyfat too, i'm 15stone 7lbs.

So if my legs feel ok and my lungs ok, is this definatly the factor while he pulls away from me like an olympic athlete on steroids ? or could it be something else.

I feel quite demoralised, I thought I was up to a good standard, but I have seen first hand tonight that my fitness can improve 200%

Any ideas on why this is happening and if its the bodyweight issue thats the cause cos I dont get it, and... any idea on what I need to do to be able to have that pace ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Lots of variables to consider here so I'll be a generic as I can firstly you say you been riding your bike for 8 months which isn't a long time, how long has your mate been riding, secondly how hard are you pushing your miles compared to him, what kind of fitness regime has he got compared to you.

Your weight climbing will make a difference as he is a lightweight but to be honest this go's in to the power to weight ratio field and if i go down that road i'll be doing a article as some bigger riders can push a bigger gear others will spin but basically it sounds like your comparing yourself with your mate without weighing up all the variables.

And just because he dances on the pedals and skips over obstacles that's down to good technique so you have to work harder physically to compensate for perhaps your poor technique meaning your fooked a lot quicker also it doesn't mean your not fit just because you can't keep the pace with your mate.

You also say that you have clocked up 800 odd miles in 8 months that's not really a lot when you break it down it's 25 miles a week so maybe get out at least 3 times a week with some hill work involved and you'll soon see the benefits, it's the old saying you get out what you put in but don't be down on yourself just ramp the training up and then go out with him in another 8 weeks on the same route and you will see a difference.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Anonymous
    Hi Stu.

Thanks for the input mate much appreciated.

I can answer some of those points, my mates been riding for over 5 years plus he does footy and was until recently jogging half marathons.

He doesn't have a cycling fitness regime as such, he just goes out twice a week for downhill XC whereas I try and get out 3 times a week and my last 3 runs were all around 20 miles each at max effort, I,ve upped the pace as I got stronger along the way.

Yep I was comparing without considering any variables as I didn't know in what areas to examin to find the answers.

Your last sentence gave me hope, I'll be hitting the Hill training this weekend, it's strange because he uses the large chairing even on the hills where I always use the middle one.

Thanks again for the reply mate.
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    check the roadies, spot a single 'sprinter' ie someone with quite a bit of heft who does well in the stages that are in the mountains.. the light guys are always the 'great climbers', it's really simple, you weigh half as much, you climb loads easier. Mind on the flat you could probably smoke him in a sprint, so chin up, horses for courses, no doubt his bench press is half of yours?
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers OCLV74 :D

Yep I think your right, horses for courses, I dont think I will ever have his level of performance in my life at this weight, to achieve it I would have to drop 2 stone of lard and 2 stone of muscle something I would never wanna do, and yeah in the gym I think I lat pull down more than his entire bodyweight lol starting to understand it a bit more now and feel a bit better this morning, I guess thats why you dont see bodybuiler type physiques kickin ass on the trails.

I've found my motivation ! Check out Chris Hoy's legs :o

chris-hoy1.jpg

Chris%2BHoy%2Blegs.jpg

Really fired up this morning actually about getting some major leg work done and hitting some hill training and see what performance benefits I can gain over the coming months.

Thanks for the education fellas 8)
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    mind, looking at Hoy's legs, if you get that big make sure to buy some anti-chafing cream, usually found in the lard-arse section of most chemists.
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2012
    I have the upper body and maybe calfs to match but my quads are nothing like that.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Be careful what you say, that's libel.
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2012
    [Edit] erm, all professional cyclists are natural, end of lol.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    edited May 2012
    Check out the "defamatory posts" sticky thread in the road, pro race forum. Doping is common in road racing. It is not a good idea to say you even suspect someone.

And just stating it is your opinion does not mean it is not still libel. In fact what youve said is text book libel. You can be sued based on what you have already said. I would ask the mods to delete your posts, although they probably will anyway when they see them.
  • Anonymous
    OK thanks for the tip mate, i'll remove me thoughts, don't wanna cross the powers that be, ta :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    I been cycling now for about 8 months, in that time I have clocked up 805 miles, mainly XC.
    That says it all. 8 months is not a long time to have been riding. Just keep riding, and remember that there will always be riders who are fitter than you.
    Some of us have been riding for 20, 30, even 40 or more years. You really expect that 8 months will get you to a solid standard?
    Think again. Fitness isn't something where you just reach "fitness" level, you keep going and improve the whole time. For as long as you ride.
  • Anonymous
    Hey McGee.

Yep just 8 months which still makes me a newbie, and boy do my legs thrash today, I didn't expect to be solid standard in this time, I just didnt know why I couldnt perform as well hence asking the question.

I realise now theres 'much' more work to do, unlike the gym I know I am not going to see immediate results, but i'll get out 3 times a week and keep chipping away :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Hey McGee.

Yep just 8 months which still makes me a newbie, and boy do my legs thrash today, I didn't expect to be solid standard in this time, I just didnt know why I couldnt perform as well hence asking the question.

I realise now theres 'much' more work to do, unlike the gym I know I am not going to see immediate results, but i'll get out 3 times a week and keep chipping away :)
    Yep, keep at it, it will come with time.
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    If you can afford a road bike, stick it in the highest gear you can and ride for as long as possible.

Many people say that road bike helps mountain biking as road biking it more about endurance
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    BenKxK wrote:
    If you can afford a road bike, stick it in the highest gear you can and ride for as long as possible.

Many people say that road bike helps mountain biking as road biking it more about endurance

Road biking is dull as fuck though... I think I've only ridden mine once this year, should probably do something about that, or sell it and buy an anthem frame :lol:

But FWIW when I used to ride mine a lot I found it benefitial, but at the same time I was doing lots more riding anyway. I added the road riding onto the mountain biking I was already doing.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    5'9" and 15 Stone 7lbs is your problem.
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    Angry Bird wrote:
    BenKxK wrote:

Road biking is dull as fark though... I think I've only ridden mine once this year, should probably do something about that, or sell it and buy an anthem frame :lol:

It's only dull as fark if you make it dull as fark! :)
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    Just push yourself. I'm a terrible climber so I don't try! Takes loads of effort out of me and leaves me knackered at the top. I spin an easy gear, maybe come in 20/30 secs behind soem of fellow weenies then nail them on the flat and singletrack.

We all have our areas of strength....and weaknesses....instead of concentrating on what you're bad at, embrace your strong points. When it comes to hills I'm a believer that they never get easier, you'll just get gradually faster at them. 8 months is no time at all and from a 3 mile out of breath run to 40 miler I would suggest your speed of improvement over the last 8 months is vastly superior.

By the way I'm 6'2", 220lb and 36. Hold my own in the races though and beat peopel much smaller than me in the midrift and get beaten by people much bigger than me as well. Do your ride with a smile on your face, thats the target!
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Could just be as simple as he was having a good day and you were having the opposite. Even Chris Hoy will have days where no matter how much he tries he just cant put out the power needed to win medals. This morning went out for a quick spin round the west Lancashire Alps with a mate he was struggling up a little climb he could usually stomp up, just wasnt his day for climbing.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    West Lancashire alps?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    West Lancashire alps?

They are monsters the 3 'Hors category' category climbs in West Lancs. Alp du Parbold, Mons Ashurst Beacon and the Col De Billinge. There was some drugs taken to get us to the top mostly consisting of a twix and a banana milk shake from the petrol station. :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap