(Another) C456 - help

GBH14
GBH14 Posts: 14
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know there have been several threads started recently about potential carbon 456 builds, but the only reason I joined the forum was because of my interest in building my first bike - a C456 (although if i do go ahead with it I'm sure I'll be using the forum a lot more!). So, rather than hi-jack other peoples threads and clutter the info they are looking for, I thought it would be best to keep my questions/ideas seperate so to speak.

First off.. I will be doing a bit of a mix of riding, a fair bit of off-road, trail stuff, some circuit stuff round the local ressy, and the odd bit of DH.

I am looking at the limited edition matt carbon 456. I have a bit of a shortlist of parts that I was thinking of getting and wanted to know your thoughts, bearing in mind my usage for the bike, and any recommendations on things I should change.

To start with I was looking at getting a groupset, just for the lack of hassle sourcing indivdual parts. I was thinking a Shimano SLX 10 speed disc groupset (£410 from Merlin) I then noticed that they do the Deore 10 speed disc groupset for £260. Can someone help clear up the differences please? (other than weight) And for my usage, will I notice/benifit from the extra £150 price tag?

As for wheels.. I was looking around a fair bit and I dont really know where to start, the options seem to be endless. after reading good things about the superstar builds I began to look on their site. I looked into the superstar AM-490 rims with switch evo hubs. Does anyone have any experience with them? They seem well priced at £195 with extra tarty colour options added. Can any give more some other options to look at to suit my usage? Also some suggestions on rubber? I will want a decent rolling speed for the ressy rides, but also enough grip to keep me going when I get dirty.

Then for forks.. I wanted a fair amount of travel, and have always found Rock Shox to be reliable. I am fairly sold on the crown lockout revs, especially after reading that they seem to be a good choice with the c456.

I then have all the other bits like bars, stem, seat post etc which I will look at at a later date. Although im thinking about tarting everything out in carbon with red trim ;)

Look forward to hearing any suggestions, money isnt and is an issue (if that makes any sense!?). The cheaper the better, but I dont want to cut corners and get something cheap just beacue its cheap. I want it to last, and want it to be enough to make me not need to upgrade anything straight after building!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The SLX shifters are a little smoother, but that is about it - the Deore group is extremely good value.

If hitting the DH hard I would take the Superstar wheels but wuth Flow rims at £220, and also a RockShox Lyrik rather than a Revelation. These are more suited to the cause.
  • GBH14
    I wont be doing much DH, that is the type of ride I do the least of TBH, sop would you stick with the AM-490's?

So i could just go with the deore group, and if I wanted to swap out the shifters for something a bit better if they dont suit? seems like it could be a decent place to save some money
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Your intended usage sounds similar to mine. I too went for the matt edition, with rev's, slx kit throughout albeit 1 x 9 and superstar am wheels. Built up nice and tough and light at around 26lb. Cost a bit though.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12850277
  • GBH14
    DodgeT wrote:
    Your intended usage sounds similar to mine. I too went for the matt edition, with rev's, slx kit throughout albeit 1 x 9 and superstar am wheels. Built up nice and tough and light at around 26lb. Cost a bit though.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12850277

Ahh good stuff, I'll have a read of that! Anything you would have changed/done differently? Any issues you had along the way?
  • DodgeT
    Only time will tell if i've made the right decision going 1 x 9. I've only built it as a trail centre & mess around bike so it should be fine, also it'll hopefully help build more leg strength with no granny to bail out on. If i really dont like it as single ring, i've bought all the gubbins, mech, shifter, rings to go to double and bash anyway, so no biggy.

Biggest issue I had was trying to get full chain device fitted. Couldn't find a definitive answer on what type would fit straight on either, even after speaking to on one. So I went ahead and fitted a superstar top guide, but in the mean time, i've had a custom backplate machined to hopefully allow me to fit a full guide and taco style bash, should be here today.

As regards to your usage, you've got to be clear in your mind what you actually mean with say downhill, as this could really change your thoughts on forks / brakes etc.

Mine's built up with 150mm rev's which is plenty for what i'll be doing. In relation to downhill and jumps, that is things like approx 5ft to flat drops, bigger stuff to transitions. Any more and i'll wuss out before the bike does.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dodge T: Are there issues with chainguides fitting? I've got a Superstar Plasma that I was thiking of putting on my C456 when/if I go 1x10. but if it won;t fit then I'll sell it while it's brand new and undamaged by ham fisted attempts to force it to fit!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    Mine is a Shaman racing drake - not as I think that matters, what matters is that you have to use the BB mounting plate. Guess ultimately it may also depend on what cranks your using.
    Mine, SLX cranks, the granny ring mountings (when viewing lengthways down the bike) stick over the BB. So, imagine by the time you have got the BB plate, then the chain device bolted to that, the crank will not go far enough into the BB as it clashes it all.

I think the only chance you will have is with a dedicated BB mount unit, ie no adaptor plate needed. I think its fair to say that the plasma will not fit.
    What cranks you using, guessing they will be ones with the granny mounts - not a dedicated single ring crank?
  • bails87
    It's an SLX triple, currently converted to a double. Thanks for the heads up.
    MTB/CX

• DodgeT
    No worries, I know how frustrating it was, so if it helps someone else, its a bonus.

My part has just arrived, piccies on my thread, gona see if it fits, fingers crossed. If it does, it should prove the fact that an off the shelf dedicated BB mount one should fit also.
    If your wondering why I didn;t just buy one, I already had the device and it was quite simple to get get the backplate made - I have a friendly toolman :)
  • bails87
    The Plasma is designed for ISCG, it comes with a BB adaptor plate, so it sounds like it won't work. Ah well, I'll figure something out.
    MTB/CX

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    bails87 wrote:
    The Plasma is designed for ISCG, it comes with a BB adaptor plate, so it sounds like it won't work. Ah well, I'll figure something out.

I couldn't get a plasma to fit on my reign without it rubbing using the bb adaptor, swapped to a brian lopes guide and it fits perfect but £100!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2