Is there an easier road pedal to clip into?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'm taking proper one-sided road pedals here (or possibly Speedplays). I've only ever used an old pair of Look Deltas and presently a pair of 105 SPD SLs, which are fine once clipped in, but are not the best for commuting in. I normally use a pair of M520 SPDs for the commute, but I've started extending my journey for training purposes or nipping out during my tea break at work to do laps of Regent's Park and I prefer the feel of proper road pedals for such rides. Is there a make/type that are easier to do the old flip and clip on? I ask because I was following a bloke recently who had some neat looking Time or Look style pedals that he seemed to clip in and out of very comfortably. I appreciate that experience will have a lot to do with it, but if there's more to it than that, I'd love to know.

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nah mate, just practise. It's rarely gonna be perfect every time. I think speedplay look quite good though, as I think they are double sided.
    I have Ultegra SLs and they are really good, as the bearings are more 'treacle-y' so dont whizz round like, say, Looks do if you miss.
    I also find the Shimanos are best for walking in, and it doesn't wear the cleats as much
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    In 20 years of riding clipless pedals I have seen people happy with all of the alternatives and other people unhappy with them. Personally I love SPD for non-road being double-sided and really easy. For the road I used Look Delta then Look Keo for years and never gave them a second thought once clipped in but in built up areas where you unclip a lot more I missed too many restarts for comfort. I finally got fed up with it, played with SL and Time iClic unsuccessfully for a while then changed to Speedplay over a year ago and love them. You have to keep them clean and maintained, give the cleats a WD40 spray sometimes and keep an eye on the cleat bolts loosening but it's fantastic to forget about one-sided pedals.

Having said all that, I ride with many people who haven't felt the need to change from other systems so I don't disagree with Coriordan, for some it's just a question of practise.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Speedplays would do the job.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your shoes. I'd wager that a proper stiff set of racing mtb shoes would feel similar to road pedals and let you stick with the SPDs.
  • Speedplays for me everyday of the week.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • jonny_trousers
    Speedplays would do the job.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your shoes. I'd wager that a proper stiff set of racing mtb shoes would feel similar to road pedals and let you stick with the SPDs.

Thanks all!

My shoes are actually pretty decent, but I've never tried them with the SPDs. I get hotspots with them and my normal, recessed cleat shoes if I use them for any distance.

It's no big deal really and I'm sure Coriordan's right, and it's just about dealing with it. I will want to upgrade for poncy reasons at some point (the 105 SPD Sls are a bit scabby and it pains me to mix them with my Campag groupset) and so perhaps Speedplay is the answer.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    practice should make it easy with any road pedal

i used to have spd on my commute bike and speedplay on the other, but after a while i put speedplay on the commute too, once you've developed the reflexes, clipping in/out becomes automatic
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    It takes a bit of practice, but you will get there eventually! Personally, road pedals and mtb pedals feel absolutely no different in realty to me, and i've never heard anyone say that, but if you feel that way, fair enough!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They feel different to me!
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Time I-clic is apparently very good.
  • jonny_trousers
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Time I-clic is apparently very good.

Now that's the kind of thing I was thinking of! Thanks! By the looks of them they could well be what that guy I was following was using. Right, I now need to do some eBaying to justify the expense!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Time I-clic has had quite mixed reviews - have a good read before buying.
  • jonny_trousers
    Time I-clic has had quite mixed reviews - have a good read before buying.

Yeah, I was just discovering that. Hmm...
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I got some Time I-Clic racer pedals second hand for £30 with cleats and I think they are fantastic. Would defo buy them brandnew for any time I need pedals as they are great.

It was the first time I used clip-in pedals and found them execptionally easy to clip-in and out of, a lot of my friends have spd pedals and tell me that they struggle to unclip and dont like riding in rush hour with them. However, I have never thought for one second using the I-clics that I have any worries about having to unclip quickly. I also found a large improve in climbs and average speed, I would say my average speed improved by about 1mph over 20 miles.

Go for them
  • loismustdie
    loismustdie Posts: 127
    I'm on Speedplays having used SPD -SL for a few years. Once in they feel identical, clipping in is maybe marginally easier on the Speedplays, but once you're used to them, you'll get into SPD-SLs first time 99/100. Also, the cleat needs nowhere near the maintenance of the Speedplays.