Is my helmet too heavy?

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I am finding I am getting a bit of neck ache on longer rides and no back ache. I was wondering if it could be my heavy weight helmet? Has anyone got a light weight helmet? Do you get neck ache?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sometimes but it's more to do with overall positioning.

Also, if I don't pay attention to it then I tend to tense my shoulders and that gives me neck ache after a while.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Positioning, not helmet weight is the problem methinks.
    Ride without your helmet and see if you get the same ache. If you do, its not the helmet.

Are your handlebars too low, forcing you to keep looking up? Try putting your saddle as low as it will go so that your bars are higher than your saddle, or, if you have a 26" front wheel, swap it for a 700c wheel.
    Not really, just raise your bars. Probably best done after the long, helmetless ride to see if the helmet really is the problem.

If you get killed to death and die of horrific head wounds whilst on this test ride, don't blame me, a helmet probably wouldn't have helped (apparently).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sometimes but it's more to do with overall positioning.

Also, if I don't pay attention to it then I tend to tense my shoulders and that gives me neck ache after a while.

Yep, that's me too.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    edited May 2012
    Your neck aches because it is holding your head up at an angle. You also have to shoulder check which puts strain on your neck. I'm just getting back into things myself and going through the process of getting neck and shoulders used to cycling again. Stick with it.

The helmet itself is only going to be about 10% of the total weight your neck is enduring, so probably not an issue.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    If this is you yes;

Dark-Helmet.jpeg

Otherwise, relax... its your posture :wink:
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Thanks for the input. I do look like the guy at the bottom because I am riding a specialized 'max' helmet for people with really big heads.

Regarding position, I have the issue on the Ribble when in the drops mainly and find it hard to look down the road. It feels very comfy for about 20 mins and then the pain starts. If I do not touch the drops all ride then no pain. Its just a bit annoying as I have some bg events coming up and I would like to be able to get in the drops now and then! I have the stem with two spacers under it out of a maximum of three and the bar to saddle drop is still quite large.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    welkman wrote:
    Thanks for the input. I do look like the guy at the bottom because I am riding a specialized 'max' helmet for people with really big heads.

Regarding position, I have the issue on the Ribble when in the drops mainly and find it hard to look down the road. It feels very comfy for about 20 mins and then the pain starts. If I do not touch the drops all ride then no pain. Its just a bit annoying as I have some bg events coming up and I would like to be able to get in the drops now and then! I have the stem with two spacers under it out of a maximum of three and the bar to saddle drop is still quite large.

I think you have three options:
    1: Put that other spacer in and flip your stem into the up angled position, if you haven't already.
    2: Go for a bike fit
    3: N+1
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    welkman wrote:
    I am finding I am getting a bit of neck ache on longer rides and no back ache. I was wondering if it could be my heavy weight helmet? Has anyone got a light weight helmet? Do you get neck ache?

Could be. I started cycling with no helmet for a while when I got neck ache and it certainly was less painful.

I bought a lighter helmet - seems to not be as bad.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes. You need a new helmet.

That's what you wanted to hear isn't it :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I used to get quite bad neck/shoulder ache when riding my roadie wearing a MTB helmet (with a little peak which exacerbated the need to bend my neck to see ahead of me).

I suppose I could have bought a road helmet, but I opted for the much cheaper option of going helmetless - no more neck ache :-) Add a little cycling cap to keep the rain/sun off your head and job done !

(the poster accepts no liability for your being injured while not wearing a helmet. Not wearing a helmet is tantamount to lying in the middle of a busy motorway at night while drinking meths. Allegedly.)
    Misguided Idealist
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    given the weight of any cycle helmet its not going to be the likely difference - it will be about posture and as you've said about it appearing when you're on the drops...
    Your head weighs a lot as it is - the weight of a foam helmet doesn't add much comparatively.
    The only thing it might do is interact with any bag you have on and thus it is affecting your posture by its physicality but not its weight.
    annnnnnnnnnnnnnyway
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    welkman wrote:

Sounds to me like your enormous melon is the problem, I'd start by making that lighter, maybe drill some holes in or have your teeth pulled.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My neck ached at the end of a 2hr ride on saturday. Wore cap, no helmet.
    My neck didn't ache during the May Flyer sportive on sunday. Wore helmet.

Go figure.

Actually, for me it's just I haven't done long rides for a while. A few under my belt and my neck ache goes away
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides