One for football fans

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Following on from the tiered classiness thread and the end of the football season, I thought I'd put together a comparison of Premier League clubs and top cycling teams.

Some of them are a little tenuous as there are 18 Pro Tour teams and 20 Premier League Teams, but I hope you enjoy.

Man City - Have recently come into money and have a smattering of Academy players - Sky
Man Utd - Can challenge on all fronts and have the experience of winning often - Liquigas
Arsenal - Capable competitors, financed by Russians - Katusha
Spurs - Continually successful without ever hitting the heights - Rabobank
Newcastle - Sponsored by fiercely loyal supporters from a powerful colony and have impressed this season - Astana
Chelsea - Formerly great team who are now showing their age - Radioshack
Everton - Only make an effort between January and April, the rest of the season they potter along - OPQS
Liverpool - Heavy investment recently hasn't had the desired effect - BMC
Fulham - Unfashionable and capable of causing a shock - Garmin
West Brom - One minute they're up, the next they're down. Currently look to have some stability - Lampre
Swansea - Recent additions to the league who have done well so far - GreenEdge
Norwich - On their day can beat anyone - Movistar
Sunderland - A recent change in management has provided a change in fortunes, Have some rapid finishers - Argos
Stoke - Punching above their weight with a talented group of individuals and a classy manager - Androni Giacatolli
Wigan - Somehow seem to get buy each season on a limited budget - Euskaltel-Euskadi
Aston Villa - Have some quality players but don't always seem to play as a team - Vacansoleil
QPR - Big investment but no big results. Rubbish away from home - Cofidis
Bolton - Do things "the right way" but don't always get the results - FDJ
Blackburn - Recent investment hasn't paid off and have an over reliance on one player - Saxo Bank
Wolves - Can't buy a win - AG2R

Comments

• ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    love this

Lotto-Belisol - only win in the Carling Cup?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Very good. And pretty accurate!

If Sky are Man City, does that mean Cavendish is Balotelli?
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    I would argue that Spurs aren't continually successful (2 tin pot cups in 13 years) but I realise this is not a football forum. I presume that the Stoke comments are sarcastic? (manager head butts players whilst naked in the shower, and wears a baseball cap). However, love the Everton one, and all of it made me chuckle.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Not happy about Sunderland being likened to a team without WorldTour status!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Point of order:
    Arsenal - Capable competitors, financed by Russians - Katusha

Usmanov is Uzbeki, he controls under 25% of the club (Stan Kroenke, an American owns a deal more) and he hasn't put a penny into the club, he's just bought shares.

Personally I reckon Arsenal are a bit more Garmin - committed to doing things the "right way" and just a touch preachy about it. And I say that as an Arsenal fan....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    Could Sky become the Liverpool?...heavy investment in British atheletes, some early success followed by leadership problems and eventual collapse towards the meaty end of the season, with mild minor cup achievements papering over cracks...if Wiggo keeps growing his hair he could end up with a terrible ponytail...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Endura?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Tusher wrote:
    Endura?

Motherwell, moderately successful in a lower quality league ;)