Noisy Avid Brakes

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had a Boardman Comp HT for about three weeks now and have only ridden it a few times, the bike has Avid Elixir 1 brakes which were fine for the first couple of weeks but last weekend they started making a noise when braking, difficult to explain but a cross between squealing, howling and warbling. They also don't feel very smooth, almost like the pads are grabbing the ventilation slots in the disc.

I have tried realigning the calipers, both by the brake grab method recommended by Avid and then by eye and the calipers appear to be true to the disc, I also followed the bedding in procedure when I got the bike. I don't think the brakes need bleeding either as the levers don't feel spongy.

I know the internet is full of reports of noisy Avid brakes, but I was wondering if anyone had any of the solutions. Solutions on the internet are confusing with some saying change to organic pads, some to sintered pads, some saying to change the discs, some saying lightly sand the pads and discs, etc etc.

I was going to try lightly sanding the pads and discs in case they had got contaminated, is there anything I need to be aware of before trying this, or has anyone got any better ideas?
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Have they got wet?

My brakes make a horrendous noise after a wet ride. A few hard pulls on the brakes at speed usually sorts them out.
  • ElliesDad
    When I used first used the bike it was wet and the brakes were fine. The noise has started since the weekend since which I have only ridden it in dry conditions.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Do you have any copper grease? I had the same problem of my brakes howling, i took the pads out and put copper grease on the back of my pads, just like you do with a car, and that fixed it,

If you sanding and put copper grease on the back doesnt work, try new pads?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't mess around with grease of any sort near my brakes. Not needed. The systems are very different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the topics in the FAQs.

What did you do to the bike before the noise started?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ElliesDad
    Thanks for the pointers, apologies for not looking in the Tech FAQ's, I will try some of the suggestions in there. Inititally I will try sanding the pads and discs to see if things improve.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    gaff_taff wrote:
    Do you have any copper grease? I had the same problem of my brakes howling, i took the pads out and put copper grease on the back of my pads, just like you do with a car, and that fixed it,

If you sanding and put copper grease on the back doesnt work, try new pads?
    Sounds like a terrible idea to me.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    It's not a terrible idea. If you're stupid and pile a lot of grease on the backing plate then of course it will be, but a light smearing can cure the squealing. That is generally where noises come from, the back of the pad against the piston.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It'll ruin the pads, the backing isn't continuous on avid brakes, theres are small circles where the pad material goes right through to the other side, where the grease will be, and will simply absorb the grease and ruin the pad.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    heez29 wrote:
    It's not a terrible idea. If you're stupid and pile a lot of grease on the backing plate then of course it will be, but a light smearing can cure the squealing. That is generally where noises come from, the back of the pad against the piston.
    Doesn't solve the problem at all, just masks it.
  • ElliesDad
    Had a go a the brakes yesterday.

Lightly sanded the rotors and pads and then cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner. Then a very thin smear of copper grease on the back of the pads and re-bedded the brakes using the bike radar method. Seems to have solved the problem. Took the bike out for a 10 mile jaunt last night, albeit on road, and not a hint of squeal or howl!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    heez29 wrote:
    Doesn't solve the problem at all, just masks it.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd say a small amount of noise from your brakes is normal, especially Avids. As long as they stop you well them that's best!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco