OMG - it is not raining today!

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
I am just so happy to be able to get out on my new bike I felt I should celebrate!

I normally commute every day (25 miles) but after continual rain after a month I just got tired of being soaked and cold so often.

Then I signed up for a 100km charity ride - normally this would not be a problem but I have cycled very little over the past 3 - 4 weeks. On top of that I built a brand new and very shiney (read expensive) road bike and gave my other bike to my son. Now I wish I hadn't - I really can't justify using the new bike for a London commute in the pouring rain, and I also was without a bike for 2 weeks as I built and got fitted on the new bike (some parts were delayed)! I even ended up buying a turbo trainer just to get some miles in on the new bike.

So here I am 3 weeks till the ride and in desperate need of doing some miles - thanks god the sun has come out to play, now I can go play too.

Pointless post - but hey bet we all like it when it doesn't rain every day. :P

Comments

• whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Fear not you are not alone, in my case I have been riding in the rain. It's hell on the gears and chain. I am so happy to see the sun peep out today!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • I commute rain or shine - its only a bike, I think mine looks cool when its filthy - the rain is its only chance of getting cleaned :-)
  • jonomc4
    Well I kind of agree with that - but my new bike is all singing and dancing one costing nearly 4k - and I need to get some time on it to get used to it. My other bike I have sort of given to my son on the understanding that I will use it on rainy days still - but he damaged it - so I have to fix it this weekend - damn kids!

Although I was someone who rode in rain or shine - after a month of continual rain I really did have enough of it - I don't know if others are like this as well - I just got tired of the daily drenching and strong winds.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Weather forecast looking glorious this week, just as I get myself organised to start riding.

Changes of clothes and shower gel in the bag, look out London tomorrow. :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jonomc4
    yep same here - I got a ride of 25 miles and 45 miles in at the weekend (bit chilly though) But OMG the weather is looking fantastic this week in London - need to get a whole load of extra miles in this week and get fit again - I am so pleased the weather looks like it is breaking - the met office said it was going to be a wet June - so I am looking forward to loads of dry warm weather!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    A 4k bike is a hell of a commuter but I bet it's nice 8)
    I'm going to use my nice bike for some commutes over summer just because it will be enjoyable.
    Its been great this week commuting in the sunshine. Not having to lube everything nearly every day is a relief.