Bike Size

mark_foden
mark_foden Posts: 89
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I am 5'' 9" and am currently riding a a 54cm frame, I have a Trek 1.2 which I ride for work, and a Trek 2.5 which I ride for all other occasions, sportives etc. I have had a bike fit on the 2.5 and it feels nice to ride, I tend to get numb hands after about 70 miles and occasional shoulder pain but apart from that it feels fine. However I was taking part in a team triathalon at the weekend and several people commented that my bike looked to small for me.

Is there a defined method in picking frame sizes ? and if so can some one point me in the right direction ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Just because it looks small doesn't mean that it is small, you see folk on Giant TCR's and Defy's and they look like they're riding a kids bike but that's down to the geometry of the bike.

If you've had a bikefit i'm sure that they weren't that far off, I'm 5' 9ish and i've always ridden a 53/54cm length top tube frame and i'd guess that 90% of people of that height would roughly ride the same size, stem and crank size may vary a little though.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    From your height I would say a 54cm Trek frame should be about right (I ride a 56cm Trek and I am 5'11"). Although it also depends on inside leg and ratio of leg to upper body for the stretch to the bars.

I think the numbness after a long ride may be due to the alloy frame. I only say this as I suffered with numb hands and shoulder ache when I had an alloy Boardman. I upgraded to a carbon Madone and have never had any of those symptoms reappear and regularly ride 100 mile routes. There is a bit more road buzz through the alloy bike versus a carbon frame in my experience.

Don't know if that will be the answer for you but that was my experience.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4