The Philosophers Axe.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Or Triggers broom....

Is your bike within the paradox?! Have all the parts changed, is it still 'really' the same bike?

The only part of my bike that remains true to the original form is the frame and forks. Even those parts have gone through 3 colour/finish changes.....

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    As long as the frame is the same it's the same bike. Even if everything else has been replaced. The frame is what KITT is to Knight Rider.

Put KITT in another car, it's still Knight Rider.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    As long as the frame is the same it's the same bike. Even if everything else has been replaced. The frame is what KITT is to Knight Rider.

Put KITT in another car, it's still Knight Rider.

In my case, this is very true. But I am sure that some people have transplanted groupsets and so on onto new frames then upgraded and gradually, the bike has become a completely new bike......has this occurred to anyone?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Not a whole bike, but I do have a rear wheel which is on its third rim, second hub and second set of spokes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I bought an old, steel Orbea a couple of years back. Upgraded the groupset from another bike, changed the wheels when they buckled, changed the bars, stem, seat and pedals - it remained the same bike. When the frame snapped though, I took all of the bits off and put them on an Equilibrium frame and forks, at this point it became another bike entirely.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The frame is the heart of the bike.

Everything else is interchangeable but ultimately, different frame = different bike.