Route from Chester to Hull

fionnan
fionnan Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
In about 10 days I set off on a cycle from Dublin to Poznan, Poland for Euro 2012. I am getting a Ferry to Holyhead in Wales and then crossing Wales and England to Hull. Then getting a Ferry to Rotterdam.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a route that would take me from Chester to Hull that would avoid built up areas but also any major climbs (I realise I will be going across that peak district)? Any suggestions on Holyhead to Chester also very welcome although I think I have an ok route for that covered.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Try looking at the Trans Pennine Trail. That route, which starts at Southport, just skirts slightly north of Chester (Runcorn), and you can adapt the route for the road.
    The route takes you through the centre of Hull as well.
    It uses some cycle paths and old railway lines, and like I say, you can always adapt to avoid any horrible off-road bits.

I rode an MTB with semi slicks on it, and I had no problems whatsoever.

Good luck and enjoy the footie ! :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    yep, trans pennine all the way. the route will need you to divert around the broadbottom area and also the woodhead pass if you are using a road bike. let me know when you are getting to hull, i can meet you and take you through to the ferry if you like. i am a sustrans ranger and look after the trans pennine trail over this side.
  • fionnan
    Thanks for that. I had looked into doing the trail but thought it wouldn't be suitable for a road bike. There are 3 of us and we are all on road bikes - probably should have mentioned that in my first post. Will be travelling relatively light though - no camping gear.

Would be great to be taken through to the ferry if it suited, need all the help we can get. Ferry check-in is Tuesday (29/5) at (up to) 7.00pm.
  • bobs bikes
    the road bikes will be useless between broadbottom and silkstone common, so you will have to route across the a626 and 628 to avoid this route, although the 628 around dunford bridge will be busy. as long as you can ride the bikes on compacted earth, the rest of the trail should be fine. the ferry starts check in at 5pm. i can meet you at the humber bridge at any time and take you through the city to the ferry no problem. allow at least three days for the trail though, its quite stop start with some of the gates and level crossings.
  • fionnan
    Ah I see ... if 3 days are required to get from Runcorn to Hull I may need to look at a different route...

Have 4 days (including the day of sailing) to cross from Holyhead to Hull - so it would be 2 and a half days maximum I would have to get from Runcorn to Hull.

Yikes, I feel horribly unprepared now.
  • bobs bikes
    right, stay on the 628 all the way to knottingley, onto the a645 east to the a614 goole/ howden. follow the old a63 toward hull. this will be a shorter on road route but i am unsure of the hills around barnsley to knottingley. the a63 is flat, straight and boring. until you meet the dual carridgeway. (basically the end of the m62) you can cross over this and follow the quieter roads along the river, rejoining the trans pennine trail at this point.
    pm me and ill certainly meet you and help you through hull..
    good luck!
  • fionnan
    Thanks for that - won't be as pleasant a ride but time restrictions don't leave us with many options...

Will PM once we've made it through Wales