Torque wrenches

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've decided I need to get a torque wrench for use on the bike after my bars coming loose the other day :oops: Obviously my hand calibration is not what it was :lol:
What torque range would need to cover all (or most) bike fittings?

Comments

• treadzmac
    treadzmac Posts: 32
    You can get a bike specific torque wrench which shud cover just about everything, prices vary from about £30 upwards so shop around.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Google this:

Sealey STW1012 Torque Wrench Micrometer Style 3/8"Sq Drive

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... coring=tps
  • treadzmac
    Seems like a decent wrench for the money.
  • marksimon69
    marksimon69 Posts: 62
    A torque key should cover most things on a bike ............ and it's cheap and easy to carry around

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-torque- ... ampaign=uk
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    fyi
    take the accuracy of a torque wrench with a pinch of salt

but the smaller the usable range the better it will be, but digital is the way to go these strain cells will stay accurately for longer, than some friction based design, but the price is mental, really

that micrometer 1 looks like a winner, is there a 1/4" option
  • simonp123
    schweiz wrote:
    Google this:

Sealey STW1012 Torque Wrench Micrometer Style 3/8"Sq Drive

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... coring=tps

I can get 50-60% off Sealey list price, so can probably get it even cheaper :D
  • simonp123
    estampida wrote:
    fyi

but the smaller the usable range the better it will be, but digital is the way to go these strain cells will stay accurately for longer, than some friction based design, but the price is mental, really

that micrometer 1 looks like a winner, is there a 1/4" option

Yes agreed about the strain gauage ones. I was working on doing the electronics on one for Britool a few years back. They do tend to be on the pricey front though. I think we have one somewhere, but it is about 3 feet long so probably OTT for a bike :lol:
  • treadzmac
    If ya can get that much of, ill give ya my address and ya can send me one in the post lol :D
  • simonp123
    treadzmac wrote:
    If ya can get that much of, ill give ya my address and ya can send me one in the post lol :D

Hmm, our discount is off the list price, which would in fact make it MORE than those prices. List is £88.74... I need to see what price we can get it at. I think that selling on would break our trade agreement though, sorry!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    estampida wrote:
    fyi
    Absolutely. I used to work on overhauling circuit breakers in a power station, where everything had to be set to exacting tolerances. We had some staggeringly expensive tools, but it was common practice to set the torque wrench using the dial, then chekc it's callibration on a torque gauge, re-adjust, re-check etc etc until the wrench was tripping at the right torque value, and keep checking the callibration every hour or so.
    Even a really expensive, monye-no-object torque wrench could be showing settings that were a world apart from what it was actually set to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    estampida wrote:
    fyi
    Absolutely. I used to work on overhauling circuit breakers in a power station, where everything had to be set to exacting tolerances. We had some staggeringly expensive tools, but it was common practice to set the torque wrench using the dial, then chekc it's callibration on a torque gauge, re-adjust, re-check etc etc until the wrench was tripping at the right torque value, and keep checking the callibration every hour or so.
    Even a really expensive, monye-no-object torque wrench could be showing settings that were a world apart from what it was actually set to.
    McGee the sparky
    electrocuted-claims-300x210.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    McGee the sparky
    electrocuted-claims-300x210.jpg
    Haha, I like it!
  • sparky.2002
    sparky.2002 Posts: 118
    Tights tight, too tights fked!, works for me..
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    I got a cheap one off the bay, 18 del, it's 20-200 inch pounds, 1/4" drive then bought a nice driver set of hex and tx sockets for it. The big blue cycle repair book quotes most stuff in inch pounds anyways, also, if you have the net, not hard to find a conversion. From reading, torque wrenches are a little hit and miss anyways, but it is reassuring to know when to stop!! (Don't quote me on this when I post about how my mech flew off and put me in a wheelchair!
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simonp123 wrote:
    I've decided I need to get a torque wrench for use on the bike after my bars coming loose the other day :oops: Obviously my hand calibration is not what it was :lol:
    What torque range would need to cover all (or most) bike fittings?
    Read Parktools they list them all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    Tights tight, too tights fked!, works for me..
    Will second that,
    :)
    anthem x with many upgrades