The Apprentice

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm fairly aware most of you might not care either way,
but just in case, who's everyone else backing!?
Ricky Martin all the way for me... discuss.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,331
    Watched earlier series but I'm done with it now.

I phased it out last year by only watching the BBC2 after show show, but even the brilliant Dara O Brien has lost my interest.

I vote Meh!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I watch it if I'm at home but I missed it yesterday and last week so I'm not sure who is who anymore...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Isn't Ricky Martin living la vida loca?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The wife watches this, I caught a bit the other day.

If these muppets are the best business in the country we're borked.

If I had to vote for one it's be Young Boris, don't know his real name but I found him less repellent than the others
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ricky or Tom, Gabrielle the outsider. They are mainly planks this year though.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I think Tom's got 'it'. Agree with BigMat though, this year's selection is appalling.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I hate it.

With the emergence of this show interviews have now become places where people routinely try to emulate Alan Sugar. They seemingly forget that Alan Sugar's interviews and debriefings are structured for entertainment and what they are doing is in reality rude.

It's also entirely possible to be a determined, goal orientated, on the ball, process driven, hard working, creative, innovative, self starter-blue sky thinking-motivated individual and not be a c*nt.

Though questionable if you choose to describe yourself thus.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Tom...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I hate it.

With the emergence of this show interviews have now become places where people routinely try to emulate Alan Sugar. They seemingly forget that Alan Sugar's interviews and debriefings are structured for entertainment and what they are doing is in reality rude.

It's also entirely possible to be a determined, goal orientated, on the ball, process driven, hard working, creative, innovative, self starter-blue sky thinking-motivated individual and not be a c*nt.

What he said. It used to be good. Now its just old hat, bit like Big Brother, its run its course and its time to put it to bed.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    They seemingly forget that Alan Sugar's interviews and debriefings are structured for entertainment...

I'm not sure, DDD. I think it might be possible that Lord Sugar is short-arsed uppity c**t who deems how he carries on to be appropriate.

Because he started with a minivan and a boot load of toasters, don't you know? He worked hard to make it from nothing, so if he wants to talk down to you that's what he'll do. Alright?

Odious. And the seat on his Pinarello is too low.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I hate it.
    This
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And this.

Don't know about the other bit as I haven't been interviewed in the last 10 years. I think people are chosen for the show as entertainment, freak show style, not as good business-people.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2012
    Ben,

What Lord Sugar has achieved in life cannot be questioned. I don't believe I have done so previously. His show is, however, structured for entertainment. Much like Simon Cowell is rude on purpose (less so now but terrible so during Pop stars) because it's entertaining.

The Apprentice is as much, if not more so, about ratings and less about giving an accurate portrayal of the boardroom and interviews (like Cowell's shows are more about ratings than they are about finding real talent).

My point is that there are those in the real professional working World who appear unable to draw a distintiction between the two. They seem to think that they should conduct themselves like Lord Sugar and his hopefuls do on the television show. They appear unable to comprehending that those on the show may be playing up to the camera and the show is editted to make emphasis on that portrayal.

The Apprentice is not a representation of how people should conduct themselves in the Business World, no matter much they fancy themselves at playing up to it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    To me, The Apprentice, sums up everything that is wrong with British business and senior management. Ego's far outweighing actual ability, pushing blame onto others and not working to resolve a problem. Offloading anything that looks taxing onto others....

Nuff said...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    Ben6899 wrote:
    ...And the seat on his Pinarello is too low.

Damning.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Does anyone else feel like punching themselves in the face every time Stephen speaks?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does anyone else feel like punching themselves in the face every time this program gets mentioned, let alone put on the TV?

Absolutely.
  • memsley89
    Does anyone else feel like punching themselves in the face every time Stephen speaks?

I would, but Jenna gets to me first...
    literally feel uncomfortable listening to her!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    memsley89 wrote:

I would, but Jenna gets to me first...
    literally feel uncomfortable listening to her!
    +1. Whenever she opens her gob I wonder where the gaffer tape is when you really need it.

I confess to quite liking the show but this year I don't give a t0ss who wins.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Anyway. Should be good tonight. Aparently some of them get pi$$ed on the challenge! :lol:
  • memsley89
    Graham. wrote:
    Anyway. Should be good tonight. Aparently some of them get pi$$ed on the challenge! :lol:

Adam was mashed! haha!