Constitution Hill/The Mall Closure...

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Well this was highly annoying this morning, closed due to the Jubilee set up.

Anyone else effected? They dismount you and divert you into Green Park, where you then have to push up onto the A4 and ride into Piccadilly. Frustrating!

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It was alright coming in from the Trafalgar Square end of the Mall. What are they setting up? for the concert?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • no_helmet
    no_helmet Posts: 2
    yes i experienced this on the way home.

hi viz wankers telling me to dismount towards the end of the mall
    more hi viz wankers around the victoria statue telling me to dismount
    the pigs in front of the palace eventually making me dismount.
    after getting on my bike near the edge of green park findout not only the road but the cycle path is closed off so make my way via the path to the top of the hill , past various sets of plastic gates ( designed to stop people cycling i guess)
    more high viz wankers at the top of the hill telling me to get off my bike.

why the fuck in these MASSIVE parks is cycling not allowed. its a total piss take given how dangerous the roads are and an absolute joke when the cylcle lane has been take out of action due to some fucking pointless waste of taxpayers money happeneing in over a fortnight. WHY DO THEY NEED THE PATH TOO?

this morning headed along picadilyy as couldnt be dong with getting lectured by a nouth breathing high viz prick at the top of hyde park, but i cut across the road towards green park station and made my way down hill to the corner to re-join the mall. a few cyclists apperaed to be coming from the right , as if they had cycled down from the top of constitution hill but who knows, perhaps they were made to walk and cycled the last bit. - the worst thing about these situations is the amount of people who just accept this shit off the droids hired to boss you about. the parks are massive and there is no reason why any citizen of this country shouldnt be allowed to cycle across them. christ knows we'd just go round her house the other way if it wasnt so fucking massive .

am going to attempt to bike back that way tonight and will report back but expect to encounter more bullshit, jobsworths and inconvenience.

Rant over. feel better now ;-)
  • no_helmet
    no_helmet Posts: 2
    oh good lord this site edits out fooking swearwords doesn't it? bag of 5hite
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I asked the fella yesterday morning why it's shut - 'there are moving vehicles, it's dangerous for cycles'. Erm, it is a road pal, what do you think happens ona normal day/when I get to Trafalgar Square? so I rode through last night and was pursued like I was some sort of terrorist trying to evade the SAS....very dubious.
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Sorry to be the purveyor of doom - but get used to it guys, due to the Olympics, The Mall will be closed to all traffic (and pedestrians) from 18th June - 30th September. Constitution Hill, though closed to vehicles, will allow cyclists through.

See here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... -map-2.pdf

Red Brompton S6L
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Where did you get that map from BromyG?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    bromyG wrote:

FFS... Looks like the Piccadilly route will become my new way to LSQ then rather than via TFSQ.... Damn it.
  • bromyG
    rubertoe wrote:
    Where did you get that map from BromyG?

Rubertoe - The maps are all shown here on the tfl website:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/project ... 22394.aspx

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Anyone know when Constitution Hill will be open for cyclists?

If the Mall is no go, what is the best way to get onto the Embankment if coming through Hyde Park (and going back)
  • bromyG
    redhanded wrote:

If the Mall is no go, what is the best way to get onto the Embankment if coming through Hyde Park (and going back)

If you look at the map it says Constitution Hill will be open only for 'Games Vehicles and Cyclists'

EDIT - Sorry just re-read - did you mean now?

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • redhanded
    bromyG wrote:
    redhanded wrote:

If you look at the map it says Constitution Hill will be open only for 'Games Vehicles and Cyclists'

EDIT - Sorry just re-read - did you mean now?

BromyG

Yeah. Constitution Hill is still shut even though the signs claim the work should have finished.

This morning I just went straight on Piccadilly after leaving Hyde Park then took a right onto, I think, St James St then cut through to the Mall. Traffic on Piccadilly was a pain.

Last night I cut through Green park, finding a route that avoided the anti-cyclist barriers and border guards.

When Constitution Hill is open and the Mall is shut, I assume that Birdcage Walk to Parliament square is the best way onto the Embankment?
  • bromyG
    redhanded wrote:
    When Constitution Hill is open and the Mall is shut, I assume that Birdcage Walk to Parliament square is the best way onto the Embankment?

Looking at the maps again - it seems like that will be OK - closed to traffic, but should be open for cyclists

Red Brompton S6L
  • 5 friggin hi viz jackets stood by the pedestrian crossing, one with a loud speaker... " would the man in the yellow t-shirt please dismount"... seriously!

For the past four days I've been ignoring him... same bloke... I really wish I could get my hands on a speaker as I can see myself cycling up to him and shouting back at him... priceless
  • redhanded
    Constitution Hill still not open, however they were letting cyclists on the footpath alongside Constitution Hill this morning. Signs telling cyclists to dismount on this but this wasn't being enforced and I only saw one pedestrian using the footpath, with everyone else being cyclists.
  • Tankie
    Tankie Posts: 2
    Well, at 3.30 it was a disaster area - from the St James's junction on the Mall round B/Palace & up Constitution Hill it's all closed to cyclists. Was heading west so had to go up through Green Park & along Piccadilly to get to Hyde Park Corner.
  • Tankie
    Tankie Posts: 2
    Plus all that Bomber Command memorial stuff doesn't make it any easier at the HPC end of Piccadilly...
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54
    Read that Constitution Hill is open to bikes again today.