Cracked rim... how long do councils get to fix potholes?

CJ Bill
CJ Bill Posts: 415
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Decided to go one of my longer country routes home last night, hit a pothole at speed (no room to avoid it due to traffic) and soon after noticed a knocking noise. When I stopped I found my rim had cracked with a good 2 inch horizontal split. Queue a train ride and a long walk home and breaking out the old single speed for 10 interesting miles this morning (posh bike was nicked recently, tourer is in for a service, leaving only the now rear rimless tourer and the single... n = n +1...).

However, this pot hole has been around for a while and checking the fixmystreet website this very pothole was reported to the council on the 26th of April. So, should they have fixed it by now? Can I claim for the cost of the rim and rebuild (I'll let them off the train fare home)?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Have you asked them if they have an agreed fix time for potholes?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I've no idea if there is an offical time period but would've thought three weeks was more than reasonable.

I've never liked this idea that people should claim for pothole damage though. Watch where you're going, ride a bike with fatter tyres at the right pressure, learn to bunny hop and teach yourself how to rebuild wheels. It's not always someone else's fault.

How old was the rim anyway? I've never known a rim in good condition to crack through impact.
  • CJ Bill
    Rim is 9 months old (5000 miles of riding), the pothole was unavoidable due to positioning on a turn at the end end of a downhill. As to tyre pressure, checked weekly and taken up to the requisite pressure with a track pump. Nope, just bad luck this time I suspect.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Sounds like the rim is worn. My rear has just gone again on my commuter - I tend to get about 18 months max on the commuter anyway, and a bang can cause them to crack when the rim thickness gets low. I had a spectacular blowout a year ago when 1/4 of the rim blew off.

Will order some new CXP33's and re-build both wheels.
  • CJ Bill
    Ah well, these things happen. Can't be bothered trying to put a claim into the council anyway so the rate payers of Cheshire East can sleep easily in their beds.