Recovery tips

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
We're off to France in a few weeks for some hard riding in the Alps. I'm not used to doing big distances day after day.

Anyone got any tips on quick recovery for such riding?

Edit: I meant to say days not weeks! I wish it was weeks.

Comments

• islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    I've been keeping track of my protein intake lately and sometimes having a fruit smoothy made with whey or soya protein powder first thing in the morning and after my ride and I'm quite sure I'm recovering much better than usual and feeling good on the hills. It's also a good way of keeping the vitamin intake high which is always a good idea for a tired body. Just a suggestion, enjoy it mate I'm very jealous of your trip.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    We're off to France in a few weeks for some hard riding in the Alps. I'm not used to doing big distances day after day.

Anyone got any tips on quick recovery for such riding?

I suspect you already know the answer: plan a rest day or two.
  • petemadoc
    My bad I actually meant days and not weeks.

We'll be riding for 4 days straight and I'd hope to be doing about 120 miles a day. I'm guessing just the normal protein stuff with loads of rice and pasta will do the trick?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Who you going with pete - and where/
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    French cooking is great but there are never enough carbs. After a few days you will be craving a huge pasta meal.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Sleep. It's always the best medicine.
  • petemadoc
    T.C. wrote:
    Who you going with pete - and where/

Alright T.C.

We're staying in near Grenoble, going with an old mate from Uni. Any tips? Where we should go?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    3 diiferent directions.
    N Chartreuse , steep, narrow, winding roads through near vertical limestone cliffs.
    SW Vecors, Big limestone plateau with long swoopy roads.
    E. Belledonne Alpes. Classic tour de France climbs, Alp Duez, lautaret, gallibier, telegraph
    Worth exploring in each direction.