Getting a bike back from London via the train...

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I might be trying to bring a mate's bike back from that Nodnol next week at around 5pm. I don't particularly want to ride it a great distance -- it's been described variously as "dangerous", "knackered", and, worryingly, "a hybrid".

The bike's in Fulham, and I reckon I could get back from e.g. Clapham Junction or Croydon-ish (Arun Valley line is the one), but the trouble is Southern Rail's bike policy which says they won't accept bikes between 16h00 and 19h00 on trains leaving London, and I know trains are usually pretty full, so I really don't want to wing it for a favour for a mate.

Any genius ideas that don't leave me with a bike on a platform until silly o'clock?
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Saw it in half and claim its a folder!?! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Take the wheels off and stick it in some sort of box? It'll still be in everyone's way, and a pain to move around, but it won't obviously be a bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Clampham Junction, even if they let you at that time, you would struggle to squeeze on as a passenger!

Spend some time at the pub or go seek out some bling bike shops to kill a few hours and charge any purchases to your mate.
  • davis
    Righto, I'll be drunkenly riding a bike cut in half inside a box. Thanks all; wondered if I'd missed a trick but I guess not.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Invite us all out for a drink and then get on a train after 7... no hanging around on a platform with a bike.
  • davis
    Invite us all out for a drink and then get on a train after 7... no hanging around on a platform with a bike.

Actually, that's a serious option come to think of it... I haven't seen the BR lot since a couple of Christmaseseseses ago.
  • The Morpeth is not far from Victoria or Vauxhall (but you'd have to carry it up stairs at Vauxhall and change at Clapham)
  • davis
    The Morpeth is not far from Victoria or Vauxhall (but you'd have to carry it up stairs at Vauxhall and change at Clapham)

Ah. I see now. You're all just angling for a pint. Crafty.