2010 Trek Remedy Suspension Bolt

SomeIdeaNoGear
SomeIdeaNoGear Posts: 61
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got back from a ride tonight where things felt a little off in the corners. Had a check around the bike and, lo and behold, it appears as though one of the rear suspension bolts has disappeared into the ether. I then spent the next 30 minutes going over every single piece of track I'd been on hunting for it but absolutely no luck on that front.

Obviously, I'm pretty glad there was no immediate failure, but now I'm gutted to be leaving the bike up to rest for a while until I source a replacement (bolt, not bike). Is there anywhere UK based that could do a quick replacements, or is it a consult a Trek dealer job?

I've tried a few searches around the internet, but haven't managed to find anything, if anyone has a particularly recommendation I'd definitely appreciate it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is there still one the same on the other side?
    If so take it into a hardware shop or bolt dealer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That's definitely an option that I hadn't even thought about, cheers cooldad.

Although I think I'll hold it in reserve until I speak to my lbs.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    This happened to me with my Mongoose. Got the bike out of the car for a 30+ mile ride around the South Downs and my shock is looking a bit wonky... Bolt missing on one side, no idea how long it had been gone, but the rear suspension was 5mm of movement away from a catastrophic failure resulting in a shock pinging off and flying up my arse.

Couldn't find it in or around the car but while looking, my mate found a mucky, scratched up old bolt which amazingly was exactly the right length and diameter. Cleaned it up, bit of grease and popped it on as a temp fix.

That was 6 months ago and I still have the old bolt in...
  • Pretty lucky there Twelly, haven't managed to find a cinderella bolt like yourself so I'm having to get myself over to a local shop and should be getting it fixed there.

It's one of the bolts for the seatstays, so I have no idea if I was close to impending death, but I'm certainly glad I got off and checked the bike before attempting some of the jumps I was eyeing up...

Just desperate to get back out on it again now and that's only after one night. :D