MTB handlebars / gear shifters on road?

janskic
janskic Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys.

I am a new user here and a fresh owner of a used cheapish Giant SCR3 2009. One thing I am failing to get used to is the road handlebars. Is it possible to use a MTB handlebar / gear shifters / brake levers with road derailleurs? I would much prefer this solution for longer rides. Am I talking crap ? I believe the bike uses Tiagra derailleur, 9 spd.
I know the SCR3 is a cheap bike, what is worth improving on it for a casual (non-daily) rider?
I have searched the forum briefly but nothning conclusive.

Cheers,
Jan

Comments

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Cant help with the technicalities, but you should be aware that bikes designed with drop bars tend to have a shorter top tube than bikes with flat bars. You may find yourself sitting up and begging more than you want.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    janskic wrote:
    Hi Guys.

I am a new user here and a fresh owner of a used cheapish Giant SCR3 2009. One thing I am failing to get used to is the road handlebars. Is it possible to use a MTB handlebar / gear shifters / brake levers with road derailleurs? I would much prefer this solution for longer rides. Am I talking crap ? I believe the bike uses Tiagra derailleur, 9 spd.
    I know the SCR3 is a cheap bike, what is worth improving on it for a casual (non-daily) rider?
    I have searched the forum briefly but nothning conclusive.

Cheers,
    Jan

I really would recommend persevering with drop bars a little longer, I came to road riding from mtb and to start with drop bars felt really strange, unstable and switching to drops from the hoods was genuinely unnerving. However I got used to it, drop bars have the huge advantage of offering many different positions for your hands which means on long rides you can adjust the position to stay comfortable.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes persevere. It will be expensive changing the gearing systems and millions of road bikers can't be wrong.

Anyone remember Tomac trying drop bars off road ? That didn't catch on !
  • janskic
    janskic Posts: 3
    Cheers for the replies folks, I shall go on a couple longer rides and see how that works out.

Jan
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Why are you struggling to get used to the drop handlebars? Whats the problem exactly?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There can be a number of problems with the road bar position:
    The reach is too far: Switch to a shorter stem. Also evaluate your whole bike position from frame size, pedals-> saddle->bars.
    Bars are too low. Raise the bars on the steerer by using the spacer rings. OR switch to a riser bar.
    Drops are too far from tops. Deep drop bars were fashionable a few years back. Shallow drop bars are now in vogue again. See the 3TTT website for a good selection with accurate dimensions. I prefer shallow ones.
    Bar angled wrong. The usual position is the bottom section of the drops pointing back and down a bit to somwhere close to the rear axle.
    Drop shape is wrong. Modern drops come in all kinds of curves. The 3TTT ergonova style takes many of the best features of touring/leisure style drops.
    Brake position. The initial position should be parallel to the bike long axis and placed so there is a smooth transition from bar to rubber hood. I like a slight upward tilt and also a slight inward cant of the levers.
    Brake hood profile doesnt fit. Cut up some tiny strips of old inner tube and stuff them under the hood rubber cover to make it bulge into your palm.
  • Butterfly bars could be a good compromise for you. You could then use mtb brakes and shifters.

There was an amazing guy called John who did L2P with us. Due to a disability he had adapted his road bike with these bars and set up. It worked brilliantly for him.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?