Canyon Strive whos got one?

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know Woody has but anyone else got one? What are they like as a general trail bike as well as the heavier duty stuff?

Ive currently got a Ghost AMR 5700 which i love, it climbs great, is very quick and ive never had any reliability issues with any of my Ghosts but...
Ive started to do more stuff like Stile cop and really enjoyed it but obviously 120mm of travel just isnt enough for the bigger stuff which id like to work up to so im going to get something with 150mm travel. However i cant afford another bike unless i sell the Ghost but i still want something thats going to deal with climbs easy enough as 85% of my riding will still be at places like Cannock, Coed y Brenin, Llandegla etc While i know there will always be a bit of a comprimise when upping the travel how much of a compromise is it? I dont want to buy a bike thats not fun and capable of lots of miles as that would be an expensive mistake

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • appy
    Hmmm now why couldnt i find that!! cheers lol
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I recently got my Strive ES 9.0.

Absolutely love it. No regrets and it climbs very well so well in fact that normally I can't get to the top of any hill without stopping and last weekend I went all the way to the top without stopping at all. Not only that for once I actually enjoyed climbing!!

On top of that my god it eats up the bumps like butter and you feel the difference straight away. Atleast coming from a Kona One20 Supreme with SID shocks and RP23 all 120 MM travel, I definitly feel the difference in the ride.

The looks? Well my bike was parked outside the pub with many other bikes including Santa Cruz etc and this lady came out of the pub with her bf and pointed at the Canyon Stive and said "Look at that bike it looks amazing", the bf mutters something I couldn't hear and then they walked away with her still talking about how awesome and expensive my bike looked and did not even mention anything of all the other bikes.

Overall I am impressed. I got a spare hanger bolt and on arrival it got missing and the bag that supposedly holding the bolt had a hole in it. I contacted Canyon and they sent one out to me straight away no question asked.

I love the Strive and I feel I've made the right decision.

Eventhough it has a 2.4 wide wheel (tubless as well) the ride uphill was joyous compared to the XC super light Kona.
  • hsiaolc
    Oh I did change the Stem to Easton Heaven and also the Handle bar to Easton Heavon (carbon) since I am not really that keen ont he crank bros and I am very happy with the change. Currently I am making a sleeve for the forks since the lizard skin ones don't cove the 120mm above very well.
  • appy
    Thanks for that, I know it will eat up the larger bumps but does it sacrifice and small bump soak up/feel/grip in doing so? And does it feel at all cumbersome at lower speeds and sharper turns?
  • hsiaolc
    You can adjust the fork to have soak up the small bumps. I don't even feel the little bumps! :)

I don't feel cumbersom at slower speeds or shaper turns.
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    Appy did you end up getting the strive?
  • appy
    Not yet but i will be, just trying to decide if i get the 9 or the 7. If i get the 7 i have to wait 11 weeks but will save £1000 more or less that i can use to customise it to exactly my taste and preference and i can also keep my Ghost AMR, If i get the 9 i dont have to wait :-) but would need to sell the Ghost to partially fund it :-(
    Also the 9 has the hammerschmidt cranks which im not to keen on due to future maintenance, repair costs.

But 11 weeks is such a long bloody time (it has to be the 7 or the 9 as i want a white one)
  • miguel73
    Stuck in a similar position myself, can't decide on the strive es 9 or the nerve am 9x. Two week wait on the am but it's in black which I'm not too keen on, 8 week wait on the es in the glacier colour, but not sure about the hammerschmidt!
  • appy
    went with a nukeproof am comp in black instead
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    appy wrote:

what were your final deciding factors? assume you were also able to ride a nukeproof before buying?
    cheers
  • chez_m356
    frazered wrote:
    appy wrote:

what were your final deciding factors? assume you were also able to ride a nukeproof before buying?
    cheers
    probably this
    appy wrote:
    Bought a Nukeprrof am comp in the end, got a deal i couldnt refuse.

£1960 new :-) From Global Bikes near Chester who ive had all my bikes from.
  • appy
    lol the price obviously helped but the main things were buying from a shop who ive had 4 bikes off and the service has always been 2nd to none. If something breaks the fact i can just pop over to them as opposed to posting it somewhere is a major plus. Also i didnt want to wait 9 weeks as ive just sold the ghost so was bikeless.

They've also let me pay £1000 of the price using my cyclescheme voucher so ill be saving a bit more plus my voucher isnt actually due for 7 weeks but theyve let me pay the £1160 cash and have the bike now then give them my voucher i july. Dont think its possible to get better service than that

Before deciding i also rode the commencal meta which looks gorgeous but tbh felt flimsy and cheap when compared to the mega
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    that price and flexibility and previous service certainly counts for a lot

I am not far from chester so will check out global soon - monster deal. wish my C2W scheme was not tied down to halfords :(
  • miguel73
    Jusr ordered my Strive ES 9 this morning.........only 8 weeks to wait now!
  • chez_m356
    miguel73 wrote:
    have you worked out how long that is in minutes yet :lol:
  • miguel73
    not yet, but it may sound better than 8 weeks so i may do! :-)
  • appy
    frazered wrote:
    that price and flexibility and previous service certainly counts for a lot

I am not far from chester so will check out global soon - monster deal. wish my C2W scheme was not tied down to halfords :(

cant recommend them enough tbh
    miguel73 wrote:

Hmm Will see how i like the nuke in 8 weeks when they are in stock and may reconsider my options lol
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    after faffing about for weeks looking at long travel tail bikes (zesty, nerve AM, Scott Genius) I rode the downhills at Inners at the weekend and made my mid up I really needed a Enduro /Serious all mountain bike with a slacker head angle so bought a strive ES7 yesterday, the last one in medium in Glacier :) (all sold out now)

Can't wait its due in 7 weeks and I am scheduled to do another trip to Laggan just after then