Which Hybrid below £509

Madball
Madball Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
I've decided that this is the time to get back to cycling. But I have to start from scratches. After some research I have three bikes to choose from: Trek 7.3 FX Disc, Specialized Crosstrial or Mreida 100D. I'm looking to commute to work around 8miles one way in Edinburgh so a bit hilly and lots of rain. I use to cycle a lot few years ago so I hope to get back to shape soon and I will appreciate a bike which will allows me to keep good pace. Which one from those mentioned above will be most suitable for me in your opinion? Or maybe something else below £500 I've missed? Thanks for any comments

Comments

• sporttourer
    sporttourer Posts: 60
    Boardman Hybrid Comp!
    Fast, disc brakes & good reviews. Only possible downside is you have to get from halfords.
  • sporttourer
    sporttourer Posts: 60
    If not doing any off road, or only very light off road duties - the Giant Rapid 4 is a quick flat barred road bike.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Hybrid???! HYYYYYBRIIIID?! Noooooo....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    ^ yeah what he said ^

Also if you can stretch a little bit more money, try the Cannondale Bad Boy.

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?p_id=47217

Whichever one you buy, after a while you will get a proper road bike. Might as well try one out for a morning.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    maveco wrote:
    ^ yeah what he said ^

Whichever one you buy, after a while you will get a proper road bike. Might as well try one out for a morning.

Why are you knocking hybrids? and then go and recommend a cannondale bad boy, with its small wheels and unnessecary disc brakes?

Hybrids are ideal for commuting. they help you sit more upright, more comfotable ride (longer wheelbase) offer more suitable gearing, allow a wider range of tyres, better clearance for guards, panniers etc..
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    dwanes wrote:
    maveco wrote:
    ^ yeah what he said ^

Why are you knocking hybrids? and then go and recommend a cannondale bad boy, with its small wheels and unnessecary disc brakes?

Hybrids are ideal for commuting. they help you sit more upright, more comfotable ride (longer wheelbase) offer more suitable gearing, allow a wider range of tyres, better clearance for guards, panniers etc..
    A more upright position doesn't necessarily mean more comfort (and nor does a longer wheelbase). If that was the case hardcore long distance tourers (for whom comfort is everything) would just ride hybrids (generally, they don't). Besides road bikes come in all shapes and sizes and there is flexibility with how you set the bike up, riding a road bike doesn't mean you have to ride with your chest resting on the top tube. :wink:

I'm not sure what you mean about the gearing, suitable for what? If hills are an issue a compact crankset (50/34) and something like a 13-28 cassette (which would go on a road bike no problem) would get you up anything. Road bikes even come with triples.

And there are plenty of road bikes that take guards, a rack and 28mm tyres.

I'm sure hybrids are perfect for some people but the huge number of people who started on hybrids and moved onto road bikes (and never looked back) suggests that hybrids aren't "ideal" commuting bikes for everyone. I own both types and I know which one I get more pleasure out of riding!
  • dwanes
    I was talking about styles in general, the OP is simply after a commuter for under £509.
    Alot of people dont want to think or bother about changing cranksets and cassetes, and generally road bikes dont come with triples.
    Hybrids 'out of the box' (under £500) generally ARE more comfortable to commute with, because of frame geometry and fatter tyres, that is why manufacturers make them and design them.
    Could you recommend a long distance tourer for under £509 ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    'Hybrids' cover a huge range of styles, it is all about indentifying your needs and what might suit. If drop bars and STI roadie shifters do not take your fancy, then a flat bar road bike is worth a look:

http://www.decathlon.fr/velo-route-btwi ... 88896.html

These were available in the UK for £450.

But as above, if wanting sometthing a bit more forgiveing then look for the less 'sporty' hybridds with wider tyres, shorter gearing and more upright stance.
  • godders1
    edited May 2012
    dwanes wrote:
    I was talking about styles in general, the OP is simply after a commuter for under £509.
    Alot of people dont want to think or bother about changing cranksets and cassetes, and generally road bikes dont come with triples.
    Hybrids 'out of the box' (under £500) generally ARE more comfortable to commute with, because of frame geometry and fatter tyres, that is why manufacturers make them and design them.
    Could you recommend a long distance tourer for under £509 ?
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... gn=country

Well I disagree but that's OK, we're all entitled to our opinions. I commuted for several years on a hybrid and having moved onto a road bike (and with the benefit of hindsight) I think a hybrid is the worst of both worlds; relatively sluggish to ride and not hardy enough to do any "proper" off roading anyway.

Have you tried both types?

There are plenty of decent road bikes at or below the OP's price point that would be fine for commuting eg:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... 3#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... 6#features

The 1st one even has a triple chainset! :wink:
  • supersonic
    I think a hybrid is the worst of both worlds; relatively sluggish to ride and not hardy enough to do any "proper" off roading anyway.

This is where they vary though - some of the MTB style hybrids nowadays are very capable at both. Such as this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

At 23.5lbs is lighter than many entry level roadbikes, yet still has tough parts and wider bars and larger tyres work well off road on lighter trails (especially in combination with a absorbant carbon fork). These are great all rounders.
  • godders1
    Isn't that just a MTB? :?

I agree though, if people want to do a bit of "light" off roading then some sort of MTB oriented hybrid would probably be great.

But the reality is we see stacks of people asking about hybrids for a commute on roads/cycle paths because they assume a road bike will fall to bits at the sight of a bump in the road or it'll be uncomfortable or any of the other road bike myths that seem to be abound.

If people prefer hybrids that's cool but it's a shame when people discount potentially good options based on myths and misapprehensions.
  • supersonic
    True, but if they do genuinely find other options more comfortable then they will explore them. Having worked in many bike shops and sold hundreds of bikes, I can say with confidence that many do not like the position of many road bikes. Something a little more relaxed (and stable) in geometry, larger tyres, wider bars and brakes and shifters on the flat make a lot of difference.

The biggest myth is that a full on road bike is vastly faster - they are not for most average riders.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Just finished the Asthma UK Beach2Beach ride this weekend - 140 miles over 2 days from Bournemouth to Brighton.

on a Boardman Hybrid and was faster than many on road bikes (and slower than a good few too) and buddied up with a guy on a carbon road bike whose pace was spot on for mine all weekend.

Nothing sluggish or slow about my bike - was only the rider that held it back...

At no time did I wish for drop bars. I do have bar ends so that I have multiple hand positions for variety though and because they are good for steep hills.
  • godders1
    Well some bikes are more efficient than others but I agree that this is often massively overstated. On my road bike I average a minute or two quicker than on my hybrid over my 16 mile commute (I know this isn’t scientific and there could be other factors that affect the journey time). So not really meaningful but like I said the road bike is just a lot more pleasurable and feels like less effort to ride.

And of course how fit/talented an individual happens to be is another matter entirely. Road bikes won’t make a slow cyclist fast and a quick cyclist will still be able to fly along at a good pace on a hybrid.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Godders1 wrote:
    If that was the case hardcore long distance tourers (for whom comfort is everything) would just ride hybrids (generally, they don't).

British ones don't, but then the cycling culture here is a subculture rather than part of normal life. European riders often do, and I defy you to find an expedition-grade touring bike that has drop bars.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • godders1
    A Brit-centric view perhaps but I make no apologies for that (being British and everything!).

I’ve no idea what you mean by “expedition standard”. If “expedition” involves potentially having to go off road then yes I suspect such bikes would benefit from flat bars for stability over the rough stuff.

The likes of Vin Cox, Alan Bate etc. certainly seem to like their drop bar bikes. Do bikes that people ride around the world on qualify as “expedition standard”?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sure, you get long distance riders on drops and they certainly have their advantages, but they're very very far from a de facto choice for heavy touring, which is what you've stated.

As for the OP, a mate of mine has a Spesh Sirrus that he's been very happy with; seems like a good mix of practicality and speed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • godders1
    Not a “de facto choice” but it is true that drop barred bikes are popular for touring, in this country very popular (just look at the “touring bikes” section of any UK bike retailer).

The broader point being that if hybrids are so comfortable and road bikes so uncomfortable, everyone doing long distances would ride hybrids. They don't (although of course some do).
  • apreading
    But then most of these people with drop bars spend 90% of the time on the hoods...
  • dwanes
    Godders1 wrote:
    Not a “de facto choice” but it is true that drop barred bikes are popular for touring, in this country very popular (just look at the “touring bikes” section of any UK bike retailer).

The broader point being that if hybrids are so comfortable and road bikes so uncomfortable, everyone doing long distances would ride hybrids. They don't (although of course some do).
    No one is saying that road bikes are uncomfortable, just that hybrids are more comfortable in the riding position, which generally commuters appreciate, with lots of trafic around you, weaving around pot holes etc :shock: , you are not stuck with your head down on drops.

ref: apreading, when you say 'on the hoods', is that hands on top of the bars or on hoods (bonnet) of cars. :lol:
  • maveco
    dwanes wrote:
    maveco wrote:
    ^ yeah what he said ^

I don't see how you don't understand this dwanes. Do you need me to explain?
  • maveco
    dwanes wrote:

This is not true either. Please supply evidence to support this. I have many bikes, the most comfortable to ride is my Sportif bike. I ride a cheaper fixed bike to work, for obvious reasons. A commute is quite short so you could do it on anything. A fixie is the absolute no hassle bike, silent and cheap to fix and maintain

Hybrids are for mixed use. In my 4 year hybrid experience and as a designer, I recommended the Bad Boy as they are a superb hybrid. Also they come without disc brakes and with hub gears if you need them. They also look the bollocks.
  • maveco
    Also you can use stem spacers to change your riding position, and most road bike users i see on my central london commute are not 'in the drops'.

No offence but I have been there with hybrids, after a while you will want something a bit 'sportier'

Also regarding speed - I am only commenting on comfort. A road bike with a good saddle and 28 tyres is essentially the same as a hybrid but with drop bars.
  • apreading
    maveco wrote:
    ...most road bike users i see on my central london commute are not 'in the drops'.

A road bike with a good saddle and 28 tyres is essentially the same as a hybrid but with drop bars.

So by that line of thinking, a hybrid with 23 tyres is the same as a road bike without drop bars, which as you say most roadies dont use much. so what exactly is the problem with a hybrid?
  • supersonic
    Comfort is subjective. Whilst many people may find one type of bike more comfortable (and in my experience, beginners to moderately experienced do prefer a more upright stance) it is down to the individual. I don't think you can blanket say one is more comfortable than the other. One may be.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    maveco wrote:
    Also you can use stem spacers to change your riding position, and most road bike users i see on my central london commute are not 'in the drops'.
    So what's the loss in not having drops at all?
    maveco wrote:
    No offence but I have been there with hybrids, after a while you will want something a bit 'sportier'
    Well, that's your experience, but others have had different experience. Some people just stay with what they originally wanted and got: a practical hybrid that's great for commuting to and from work.

No offense, I've been there, got the 'sportier' bike and went back to my hybrid.
  • godders1
    apreading wrote:
    But then most of these people with drop bars spend 90% of the time on the hoods...
    If I only required them 10% of the time that would still make having drop bars worthwhile. I need my puncture repair kit less than 1% of the time but when I do need it I’m glad that I have it!

I mostly alternate between hoods and tops although still spend a fair bit of time in the drops. If it’s really windy I can spend almost an entire ride in the drops.

I have bullhorn bars on my hybrid, they’re a good compromise.
  • maveco
    jamesco wrote:
    maveco wrote:
    So what's the loss in not having drops at all?
    maveco wrote:
    Well, that's your experience, but others have had different experience. Some people just stay with what they originally wanted and got: a practical hybrid that's great for commuting to and from work.

No offense, I've been there, got the 'sportier' bike and went back to my hybrid.

No offence taken, good for you. Have whatever bars you want. I am providing an opinion based on my experiences.
  • maveco
    apreading wrote:
    maveco wrote:
    ...most road bike users i see on my central london commute are not 'in the drops'.

A road bike with a good saddle and 28 tyres is essentially the same as a hybrid but with drop bars.

So by that line of thinking, a hybrid with 23 tyres is the same as a road bike without drop bars, which as you say most roadies dont use much. so what exactly is the problem with a hybrid?

No problem with the hybrid. Please don't be so defensive. They are great for their purpose. I merely offer the opinion that a road bike might be worth trying.
  • dwanes
    Also, dont forget with a hybrid with straight bars when you are sat upright commuting in heavy traffic, you have quick immediate access to your Brakes! :)