Stan's Rims - are they really that good?

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Seems that world + dog is buying wheels with Stan's Rims these days.

Are they really that good?

I mean, they're made by Sun. Which is not to say they're bad. I like Sun, I own Sun rims, just that the average Sun rim costs a crap load less than Stans rim.

Don't other manufs make decent tubeless-ready-rims too?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are light for their intended use, but they cost more than others. They omit spoke eyelets (which some like to have) and reposition mass from depth to make the rim wider, which some find makes them a little flexier.

For those wanted to shave grams off wheels, are a good bet, and are some great deals on full builds anyway.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    On spec, they look very good-they seem to be fairly strong, are light and are wide, which is good for running wide tyres. When you can get a complete handbuilt set from superstar for £220, I cant see why you would go with anything else. That said, I think the new pacenti tl28 rims look very good indeed. However, having to get a custom build from just riding along or similar makes them much more expensive than stans currently, even though the rim costs are similar.
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    Good, strong and light for their width, but star when using tubeless with non-UST tyres. They seal very well and resist burping due to the rim design. Very impressed with mine.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I bought a set on Superstar hubs and thought that at that price there was little to lose.

they have been brilliant. Super light, seal brilliantly and no issues to date

My one gripe - I like to ride a rull UST on real beastly rockly trails for the additional security of the sidewall. Just try getting a UST on to Stans without sweating, swearing, snapping a tyre lever...

For standard tyres and tubeless ready.....they are wonderful.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I pretty much refuse to use another rim manufacturer, obviously if someone bought me a set of enve's I would turn them down, but in the real world, Stan's every time.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I've had a set of Stans 355 rims on my FS (SC Superlight) for at least a couple of years.
    Running tubeless with Hope Pro II hubs and supplied by Wheelpro.

The rims have never put a foot wrong (if such a thing is possible), and the wheels have never gone out of true, bent, buckled or failed.

I weigh 230lb and although I choose my lines wisely I don't pussy foot around.

So I'd say they are good, but I'd be more inclined to say it is a combination of components and the wheel builders skills that makes a good wheel. Build a top draw component list badly and the wheel will fail.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    lawman wrote:
    if someone bought me a set of enve's I would turn them down

Send em my way then :)

I've flows on my DH bike but recently went tackling a strava segment at Stainburn on my Crests. There's a slab that you can get some air from:

Stainburn+(1).JPG

I did this four or five times without the rims budging, or squirelling on landing. I've come to really trust their XC rim at shruging off big impacts and with Pro IIs, the set is 1600g. Really can't go wrong. But I don't get to ride that many alternatives so I don't know what, say 717s would be like after the same drop. It's alright saying the Crests blow me away, but I really couldn't say how much better than the competition they are.