Stans rims: how light can i get away with?

mr.tradesman
mr.tradesman Posts: 32
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking into getting a new wheelset for a whyte t120. nothing wrong with the standard rims but would like less heft.
Heres the dilemma.
im 9,6 stone and do mostly xc/trail but i do a fair amount of downhill runs at the weekends, so whats the lightest wheelset i could get away with?
i was looking at Crest but maybe Alpine would be more suitable? Or should i look towards more Flow territory?
Budget less than £375

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

:) thanks
Whyte T120 2012
Specialized Rockhopper expert
Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on how hard your downhill is - 10 foot drops and 40ft gap jumps with hard flat landings? Or a bit milder ;-)
  • frequent 0.5-1m ski jumps, doubles etc roots and ruts but no road gaps! :lol:
    Whyte T120 2012
  • basically steep, and jumpy
    Whyte T120 2012
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd probably opt dfor the flows to be on the safe side as will allow more mistakes, but I'd look at the rest of the bike too - is it the right bike for you?
  • its my only bike. im quite happy to risk a little for more enjoyable/easier xc rides, and when i don't use the uplift!
    Whyte T120 2012
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Look at the Arch EX, lighter than the Flows but still quite tough.
  • ah yes probably the arch ex , thanks although i might take a risk with the crests?
    Whyte T120 2012
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you're hitting the DH at the weekends why go for the XC rim? I'd go for the AM rim (Arch EX) they're the same price and only about another 100g or so for the pair.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think you can go lighter (less strong) in the front.
  • mostly likely the arch ex then, thanks for the help
    Whyte T120 2012
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Why not just get a strong but cheap pair of wheels when you want to do DH. They'll be heavy but doesn't matter so much for DH.

Or vice versa if your current wheels are strong enough for DH but you want something lighter for XC why not buy a set of super light XC wheels?

Just swap them over depending on what type of riding you fancy doing takes 5 mins and very little compromise and risk to take.

If your riding is just aggressive trail riding then I think getting a light but strong all mountain type of wheelset makes sense as you are cycling up as much as down but if you're doing DH runs then I think the risk of damaging the wheel is too high from a dodgy landing or something.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I don't do any DH and I've just ordered a set of Arch EX's for my Soul from Moonglu, seem the perfect gap between the Crest and Flow, though I do weigh about 4 stone more than you. I considered the Crest very strongly but for an additional 60g per went with the Arch EX for piece of mind!