retro mtb compared to modern mtb

2»

Comments

• paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    I was in a similar position and had a 9 year old specialized hard rock. A friend had got a GT Kraken 2011 and I tried it down a short action of trail The quickest time I had managed on my hard rock was 1.24 but I was immediately 8 secs quicker. The big difference was at the front end in terms of suspension and control. The general frame stiffness made a difference too

I have also just bought a road bike and can choos either. Strangely enough I had been building up to doing 50 miles on the MTB Overall yes longer rides on road on the MTB are a harder workout but the benefit I have found is that found is that I can just change my mind at any point! If I see an interesting woods I can just head off into it - as said above - the road bike is just a road bike. It's a huge benefit overall for a good MTB to be able to go pretty much anywhere!
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    Woody80 wrote:
    What did you buy in the end?

a 2010 marin palisades trail second hand.
    i noticed whinstanleys bike had them for £599 in my size so i had a look localy on ebay and found one, hardly used with over a week to run but reserve not met ,so i emailed the guy and he said his reserve was £400, i pointed that after paying for fuel to pick his up, i could get barand new for only £160 more and offered him £300, didnt think he'd accept but he did. Bit of a bargain I think so im happy
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    supersonic wrote:
    An MTB is far better on road than a road bike is off road. In fact I'd argue a high end MTB would be faster on road (and lighter) than a budget to mid range road bike.

No chance. A 600 quid boardman will whip a 2500 quid mtb on the road. I can cruise at 5-8mph faster on my road bike than my mtb. Slicks would help but it's still 2" tyres vs. 2cm tyres plus my mtb is twice as heavy. However the mtb will do better on crap Tarmac.
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    diy wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    An MTB is far better on road than a road bike is off road. In fact I'd argue a high end MTB would be faster on road (and lighter) than a budget to mid range road bike.

No chance. A 600 quid boardman will whip a 2500 quid mtb on the road. I can cruise at 5-8mph faster on my road bike than my mtb. Slicks would help but it's still 2" tyres vs. 2cm tyres plus my mtb is twice as heavy. However the mtb will do better on crap Tarmac.

lol, so that's just about every road in this country!
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • diy
    every road except the Olympic cycling route - which has almost race track quality tarmac on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    diy wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I bet a 2500 quid hardtail is lighter than your boardman. I bet I can build one far lighter, and quicker.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds like a challenge.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    THing is, do you want a £2.5k MTB that's fun, or a £2.5k MTB that's good on the road? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    I know I can build a sub 20lbs hardtail for that. The only hope a road bike has would be aerodynamics, but that only comes in to play when you are averaging 16-20mph or more. This is the main reason road bikes have narrow tyres - aerodynamics.

It still would be fun lol! It still would be an MTB that would work well offroad - the only concession would be a tyre change.
  • bails87
    Yeah, but an mtb built to be good on road would be a rigid 29er with narrow bars and relatively low tread tyres.

For me, a fun £2.5k mtb would have 140mm+ of suspension at both ends, wide bars, grippy tyres.

If I had £2.5k, I'd spend £2k on a MTB and £500 on a 2nd hand road bike.
    MTB/CX

• Dub L
    Dub L Posts: 62
    I used to ride a road bike to and from work, but I sold it. Now I just stick some slicks on my £700 HT. While it is a little more effort, I honestly think that it's just as quick as most road bikes around the same budget, and even on the slicks I take short cuts over rough stuff I wouldn't dream of taking a road bike over.
  • supersonic
    bails87 wrote:
    Yeah, but an mtb built to be good on road would be a rigid 29er with narrow bars and relatively low tread tyres.

For me, a fun £2.5k mtb would have 140mm+ of suspension at both ends, wide bars, grippy tyres.

If I had £2.5k, I'd spend £2k on a MTB and £500 on a 2nd hand road bike.

Why 29er? Just for the gearing? Fun will always be subjective - some find barelling down mountains on large amounts of travel boring and prefer the tighter handling and more reactive shorter travel bike.

But yeah, if I had 2.5k and had space for two bikes I'd so the same - but that wasn't really my point, just that I think an XC hardtail would do a very good job, if not better than a budget/mid price road bike, albeit with a few tweaks.
  • bails87
    Didn't know they had different gears! "Road bikes must be 29ers for a reason" was my logic*.

*not necessarily logical!
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    Well, a 29er MTB with normal tyres will up the gearing by about 10% due to the larger radius - I was thinking you may have been looking at top end lol.

Interestingly most 26er MTB wheels and tyres come up the same as a roadbike with narrow slicks. Many Tri riders actually use 26 road bikes for aero reasons too!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Didn't one of Whyte's team riders win a road race in south Africa on his MTB, or something?
  • diy
    I just can't see how you could build an mtb to be quicker and lighter than road bike.

My boardman weights 8.2kg according to popular myth and it cost me £650. A Stumpy HT carbon weighs 11.2kg and is about 2,500

Then you've got the 12/50T crankset, 23mm tyres and the ability to get in the drops and really stretch out the legs.

If you built an MTB to be better on road, I reckon it would be no better off road than a road bike.

Otherwise nobody would buy cyclocross.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    diy wrote:
    Cyclocross only exists because of the same reason as malaria. There just aren't enough resources to distribute enough medication.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic wrote:
    Many Tri riders actually use 26 road bikes for aero reasons too!

Only very short ones
  • Cyclocross only exists because of the same reason as malaria. There just aren't enough resources to distribute enough medication.

....and long may it continue, especially the Three Peaks.
  • supersonic
    diy wrote:
    I just can't see how you could build an mtb to be quicker and lighter than road bike.

My boardman weights 8.2kg according to popular myth and it cost me £650. A Stumpy HT carbon weighs 11.2kg and is about 2,500

Then you've got the 12/50T crankset, 23mm tyres and the ability to get in the drops and really stretch out the legs.

If you built an MTB to be better on road, I reckon it would be no better off road than a road bike.

You did very well to pick that up for £650! Was it new?

Stock Scale 20 is 9.80kg and have seen places knocking these out for as low as 1.5k.

Of course, is all about money. You want to be quick on the road for the least cash, then get a road bike. But there is no doubt in my mind that a high end XC bike will be as good on road. I have built them myself, and have noticed no difference in aveage speed on the road - but the MTB is far, far better off road. (this was my Zaskar LE, 20lbs with semi slicks, riser bars, Vs, 27 speed)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    But there is no doubt in my mind that a high end XC bike will be as good on road.
    You know, I'm pretty sure that one of Whyte's team XC racers DID win a road bike race, on his hartdail MTB.