The good, the bad and the ugly.......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Long term product reviews and tests.

I thought I would start a thread for long term product testing. Firstly, getting data about products and their longevity is very difficult. The bikeradar test give you a snapshot, but not the full realities of the expected lifespan and considering the cost of some kit, you expect allot from these products.

I have on the go, long term:

Crank Brothers high pressure pump (aluminium):
5 years on and still an amazing pump - I can get to 120psi with a bit of sweat, works well and does the needful. I have come to rely on it completely - no failures or problems. 10/10

Chrome Citizen messenger bag:
6 years of week in and week out abuse all year around, still no fault and no failures. Stitching is all good, completely waterproof, comfortable (needs to be set up for each load - unless your load is constant) 9/10

Time RXS MTB shoes:
5 years of week in and week out abuse; the water proofing is rubbish and they leak from underneath - but nothing has failed or work out. The cleats need replacing, but this is tertiary to the actual shoe - 6/10

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Endura Luminite overshoes (no thumbs up)

less than 12 months an totally falling to bits, reflective bands have all but come off, the water resistant cover over the neoprene is separating

rubbish - best avoid

Berghaus Freeflow rucksack (three thumbs up)

over 3 years old an still going strong, stitching still good, really comfortable on my back an has some messy thing (freeflow system) which helps keep you back from being sweaty

Sealskinz UltraGripz gloves (two thumbs up)

keep your hands dry, but not that good in the wind i have found, when the temp goes close to 0 you start to feel a chill. Plenty of grip on the palms an fingers though even in the wet
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    My Specialized BG Pro shoes have served me well. Bit worn at the back after commuting in for 2 years where they're held when taken on/off. Rating: Very good
    gtvlusso wrote:
    6/10
    mudcow007 wrote:
    (two thumbs up)

Am I helping by introducing a 3rd scale?
    I think Very good is between 2 and 3 thumbs, maybe not as good as 9/10. Should we have a thumbs to points conversion chart?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    dhope wrote:
    I think Very good is between 2 and 3 thumbs, maybe not as good as 9/10. Should we have a thumbs to points conversion chart?

Nah, I got one from Wiggle.. it lasted about 12 minutes and then fell apart whilst corrupting my email and draining the batteries on my front light. I'd give it about 0.26 suns.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr Sharky wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Nah, I got one from Wiggle.. it lasted about 12 minutes and then fell apart whilst corrupting my email and draining the batteries on my front light. I'd give it about 0.26 suns.
    0.26 suns?! That's rubbish.
    I just checked the sun's power to weight output and it's pathetic. 2x10^30 Kg putting out 39x10^26 watts. That's a ptw of just 0.000195.
    Don't get me wrong, that's 5 billion year power which is alright, but I reckon in a sprint I could take it down Embankment.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • How exactly do you give three thumbs up, Mudcow? Did you get a friend to help?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    No, they don't call him a.cleverdick for nothing!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    SimonAH wrote:
    No, they don't call him a.cleverdick for nothing!

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you know you try an be serious an try an do some reviews of products you have bought.....

gah i give up!

clever-dick also does tricks......"look no hands"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    My £8 (?) tesco winter cycling gloves came through their 3rd winter without any real signs of wear. Most impressed with them really. Been washed numerous times and even tumble dried a few (I fly in the face of care labels!). Top notch really....
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I'll play...

Good
    Alpkit Gourdon 20l drysac Lightweight, totally waterproof 10/10

Gore Phantom Windstopper. Fits well, keeps me warm, never let me down. A little more waterproofing would be nice so 9/10

Bad
    Sealskinz Winter Cycle Glove model KJ991. Made with "Porelle (r) Waterproof and Breathable". Grippy, but for a winter glove not particularly warm below zero, marginally breathable (get sweaty hands above 2degC) and very definitely not 100% waterproof. 5/10

Ugly
    Not had anything that bad .... yet
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite saddle. Absolutely brilliant saddle.
    It has had 5 years of regular use commuting and on longer (century plus) rides in brilliant comfort and with minimal signs of wear (mainly scuff marks from leaning against walls). Expensive, but worth every penny.

I'll give it two bobbing seals.
    April-03-2012-23-35-25-tumblrlzh4155sCg1qa9omho1500.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!