Is 2011 Specialized Sirrus good enough?

Elmir
Elmir Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi to all!

I'm planing to take some european cycling tours this year.

I have nice 2011 Specialized Sirrus with factory cranckset 28/38/48 and casette 11/32T.

Question for anyone with touring experience: Is this gearing good enough for climbing some serious european mountain pass?

greetings from Sarajevo!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It depends a bit on how fit you are. If you're not sure you could change the chainrings - I've not tried it myself but I think people have changed the small and middle chainrings and not had major problems.

Greetings to Sarajevo!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    That should be enough for all mountains even if you are loaded up with a ton of baggage.
  • Elmir
    And that is absolutely true! :D
    Two days ago, fully loaded I tried to climb over a fairly high pass. Went very well.
    Even I did not use lowest gear (28/32). Of course, the great merit belongs to the road tires (Specialized All Condition 700Cx32) inflated to 100 psi. :D
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    thats pretty much the same gearing as provided on touring bikes, can't imagine needing anything lower. you still need to get the same mass (you, bike and luggage) up the same height, regardless of gear ratio!

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    flester wrote:
    thats pretty much the same gearing as provided on touring bikes, can't imagine needing anything lower. you still need to get the same mass (you, bike and luggage) up the same height, regardless of gear ratio!

Plenty of people tour with 44-32-22. If you've ever had a long day and found that your campsite is up a hill with a gradient of more than one in ten then you'll be able to imagine when the extra gears come in useful.

To the OP - I doubt that you'll find many roads in the Alps that are steeper than the ones in the mountains around Sarejevo - so if in doubt do a loaded test ride near home.
  • Elmir
    andymiller wrote:
    flester wrote:

Plenty of people tour with 44-32-22. If you've ever had a long day and found that your campsite is up a hill with a gradient of more than one in ten then you'll be able to imagine when the extra gears come in useful.

To the OP - I doubt that you'll find many roads in the Alps that are steeper than the ones in the mountains around Sarejevo - so if in doubt do a loaded test ride near home.

I tried to climb the roads around Sarajevo, which (obviously) you know. :lol:
    Going pretty good, but on some climbs MTB's 22/32.. would be a much better solution. :)