Carbon or Alu hardtail - pros and cons

Dubdemand
Dubdemand Posts: 37
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, I nearly bought a Cube Ltd Race a few weeks ago but the deal fell through. I then talked myself into the idea of a Cube Ltd SL which I was feeling quite excited about but now my mind has started wondering about the possibility of a carbon frame...

This leaves me considering either the original planed Cube Ltd SL or maybe I could stretch the budget to theCube Reaction GTC PRO.

I've never ridden a carbon frame so have no idea if this is a good idea or not. What are the pros and cons? Is a carbon frame easier to damage? Is the kit on the Reaction much better than the LTD? Do I need to think about anything else?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated as this is quite a substantial purchase and I don't want to get it wrong!

TIA

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A lot depends on the construction - you can make light/strong/stiff/heavy/weak/flexy frames from both materials.

Generalising though, carbon performs better in impacts, but tends to fail more catastrophically if it does go. Carbon tends to build into lighter frames for a given strength, and absorb tril buzz more effectively.