Rode 400 kilometers

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
On Saturday. And some of Sunday morning.

Strava doesn't seem to like it too much as the graphs don't work, and it shows the longer distance of me getting back to london even though I cropped it. Anyway here it is

http://app.strava.com/rides/8502057

Legs and back are sore today. And my fingers all have pins and needles. I'm told this will go away eventually.

Rode it on the Dolan, who behaved pretty well. Front shifter was playing up a bit but otherwise fine. Lovely weather too! Don't know if I would have managed it in the rain.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Chapeau!

Where did you stop overnight?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • pangolin
    I slept for 1 hour slumped over a table in Membury service station :P
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    << Very impressed!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey, thats some big ass commute

did you do it on your own?

248 miles ish, isn't it?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • optimisticbiker
    pangolin wrote:
    I slept for 1 hour slumped over a table in Membury service station :P
    Well thats one way to do it! I can think of more comfortable places... so you rode it virtually non-stop, in the dark too? If so even more impressed!
  • pangolin
    Hehe, that would be some commute.

It was an Audax called the Severn Across, I think about 30 people took part. Garmin was reading about 252 at the end I think. 135 had been my longest day previously!

There's a more detailed ride report here if people are interested / bored at work

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59582.0
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • optimisticbiker
    pangolin wrote:
    Hehe, that would be some commute.

It was an Audax called the Severn Across, I think about 30 people took part. Garmin was reading about 252 at the end I think. 135 had been my longest day previously!

There's a more detailed ride report here if people are interested / bored at work

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59582.0
    Having read that... very impressed... puts my 185 miles in 2 days this weekend into perspective! I shall not whimper or moan (though I feel its going to be pretty wet :( ). Seriously, I am warming to the idea of something like that for later in the year...
  • mudcow007
    most impressive write up dude!

an hats off to you

longest continuous ride ive ever done was along the leeds to liverpool canal (127 miles) in 2 days, we stopped off in Burnley.

with it being a canal you would think it was flat with nice paths....it wasn't

it was horrible, i would totally bonk, eat something perk up...then bonk...eat something perk up...it was liek this the whole ride

good fun though
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    well done mate!

ive used your bag a few times now, its really good!
  • pangolin
    Ah good to hear it hasn't ripped to pieces on you!

Mudcow this reminded me I still haven't made yours :oops: sorry. Works been really busy the last couple of months. Hopefully I'll get round to it soon!

Completely understand the bonk, perk up, bonk rollercoaster.

Optimistic biker - go for it! There's a list of rides here. Very good value if one starts near you

http://www.aukweb.net/events/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    pangolin wrote:

Mudcow this reminded me I still haven't made yours :oops: sorry. Works been really busy the last couple of months. Hopefully I'll get round to it soon!

fantastico, there no rush

just let me know if you need me to send/ do anything
  • optimisticbiker
    pangolin wrote:

Completely understand the bonk, perk up, bonk rollercoaster.

Optimistic biker - go for it! There's a list of rides here. Very good value if one starts near you

http://www.aukweb.net/events/
    One of the Kenton club riders I ride with on many Sundays is based in Hemel Hempstead and has been trying to convince me to do a 250k; there's quite a few start from our neck of the woods...

[edit] Herts High Five, 207km on June 10 looks a possible and on my usual stamping ground...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Fantastic effort there. I've only done one audax to date, a mere 200, though quite a few other rides of that length and more, record's 173 miles...400+ scares me a bit, tbh (more the lack of sleep than anything else). Chapeau indeed!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Very impressive! I managed 150 miles this weekend. 100 on Sat and 50 on Sun, and I still feel tired.
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Can I be the third to say chapeau.
    A great adventure and speaking as one who's limited to about one quarter of that distance in a day, I have to respect that effort.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Wow congrats and respect :shock:

Popular Segments on this ride? I was expecting to see some reference to the segment at about 252 miles where you arrive home and can eat and sleep properly... :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You SO should have set the entire ride as a segment before you did it.

That'd be one KOM you wouldn't be losing any time soon.
  • pangolin
    Haha, good point! I wasn't entirely sure of the route I was going to take before I started though so would have been tough to do.

Anyone not sure if they could do it I would recommend giving it a go. As long as you cycle a fair bit normally, just ride slower than normal and eat lots more.

Optimisticbiker I'm probably doing this one with a mate on the 10th June if you fancy it

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-888/#more
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Blimey - I actually drove roughly the same distance on Saturday (Helston to Reading) and that took long enough! Great stuff!
    FCN 3 / 4