Hosing down the bike

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Do you guys use an attachment at the end of the hose, like the ones you use when watering your garden? Is the pressure weak enough to use all the over the bike? Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    That works! just dont aim a jet at the bearings. But don't you have a hosepipe ban?
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • jeannot18
    flappy8 wrote:
    That works! just dont aim a jet at the bearings. But don't you have a hosepipe ban?

Do we? I am not sure about the ban, I have had nothing through the letter box. Thing is the bike gets so dirty right now that I don't have a choice. Thanks

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Balaclavas
    Balaclavas Posts: 61
    No hosepipe ban in Essex, looks like years of being the driest county in England are paying off.

I've never had any problem using the tightest jet on the average garden hose, even close to bearings, wouldn't go nearthem with a pressure washer though.
  • jeannot18
    Balaclavas wrote:
    No hosepipe ban in Essex, looks like years of being the driest county in England are paying off.

I've never had any problem using the tightest jet on the average garden hose, even close to bearings, wouldn't go nearthem with a pressure washer though.
    Thanks mate! I was struggling last week cleaning the bike, so today I went to Asda and bought a pack of jets. Now all I have to do is to go riding and trash the bike one more time :D

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Hosepipe-ban-comes-force-parts-Essex/story-15727474-detail/story.html

Depends which water company is supplying your water as to whether you are hose-banned or not.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Balaclavas wrote:

Thanks mate! I was struggling last week cleaning the bike, so today I went to Asda and bought a pack of jets. Now all I have to do is to go riding and trash the bike one more time :D

JC

What was wrong with your thumb?
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Balaclavas wrote:

JC

What was wrong with your thumb?

Lazy is my middle name :D Well I needed a tap connector as the one I had disappeared when we had the tap move to a different location. The pack I bought had everything and the wife can use the jet for watering the garden.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jeannot18 wrote:
    flappy8 wrote:

Do we? I am not sure about the ban, I have had nothing through the letter box. Thing is the bike gets so dirty right now that I don't have a choice. Thanks

JC

I've not had anything through the door, doesn't mean I aint in a hosepipe ban area... theres been enough coverage in all media formats, so you probably do know :wink:

You can quite easily wash a bike with a bucket, although I personally use my nomad pressure washer and water from the water butt.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Whats wrong with a bucket of water a sponge and another bucket of water to rinse off.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    Total newbie question, but when you say stay away from the bearings, where are the bearings? im laughing at myself , sorry ha
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Pivots and turny things.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    cameronb wrote:
    Total newbie question, but when you say stay away from the bearings, where are the bearings? im laughing at myself , sorry ha

Basically anything that moves.... So wheel hubs, suspension pivots, bottom brackets, and I also stay away from the seals on my forks..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    JC
    I work for a water company - where are you specifically and I can tell you quite quickly if you have a ban or not. PM me if you like.

Keep pressure low and you will be ok although if you want that box fresh look, water and sponge is better. Avoid using washng up liquid on your chain though, it contains salt and will make you chain go rusty - learnt that the hard way and got a patronising look when I complained in my LBS.

What are bearings - best way to think about it is if it moves, dont get too excited with the jet wash.
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)