Alloy vs CroMo (Fuji Track)

roger_merriman
roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Since my last commute bike got filched and insurance bods have said they will be sending a check i'm window/web shopping.

last bike was a older version of this. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-12?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

been looking at Fuji Tracks, steel http://www.fujibikes.com/eu/bike/details/classic-crmo-intl

Alloy http://www.fujibikes.com/eu/bike/details/classic-alloy-intl

Any thoughts? i'm leaning towards the Alloy since well my work is fairly secure though not out of the weather.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I'd be tempted to go for the steel. The links only send you to the home page so it's hard to be sure but I presume you mean the Classic Alloy and Classic Crmo. The pictures look like virtually the same bike, I'd expect the steel to have thinner tubing. The difference looks minimal, 500g difference in weight. I think steel hoping for a more compliant ride.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd be tempted to go for the steel. The links only send you to the home page so it's hard to be sure but I presume you mean the Classic Alloy and Classic Crmo. The pictures look like virtually the same bike, I'd expect the steel to have thinner tubing. The difference looks minimal, 500g difference in weight. I think steel hoping for a more compliant ride.
    +1
    Alloy good for racing, but I'd prefer steel for the road. Mind you, I'd want gears, a rack and mudguards too, so perhaps I'm not the guy you should be asking :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    +1
    Alloy good for racing, but I'd prefer steel for the road. Mind you, I'd want gears, a rack and mudguards too, so perhaps I'm not the guy you should be asking :roll:

My last bike had rack and one mudguard, and one gear.

The Fuji has space for mr crud mudguards so thats a boon over last bike.

My job has changed so i'm not carrying much, if anything at all. so a rack is overkill.

I am still concerned that a steel bike would suffer being kept outside.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How the bikes will feel is hard to say really without a test ride. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the alu bike flexed more looking at tubing gauge, is very narrow!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I think you'd need a metallurgist, or someone that knows more than I, to say for sure. But a quick Google suggests that whilst Cro Mo contains chrome there is not enough to prevent corrosion. So you may have a point about storing it outdoors.
    I also agree with SS, the ali frame does look like it has narrow tubing. That may make the ali your best bet.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Do also consider that the Fuji track is, surprise, surprise, a track bike. Perhaps they've softened things by now, but my Fuji Track from about 2008 does have a track bike's geometry and can feel a little tiring to ride on after a while. I do love the feel of its Cro-mo, though.