Sub 500g Fast xc tyre with Stans?

70\ʹspenguin
70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I have just gotten some Stans Crest rims and during the summer i fancy trying tubeless. Fairly long distance, light XC, all day exploring (nothing technical), so I want to keep below 500g per tyre (im also weight concious), and have narrowed it down to the following non UST tyres that i like that dont cost a fortune:

Racing Ralph Evo
Kenda Small Block 8
Bontrager XR1
Maxxis CrossMark

My personal preference would be the Kendas with the maxxis as my lesser favoured. I know nothing about the bonty but ran Jones XR's in the past.

My question is: Which would be more suited to the Crest rim and sealant? I have read a few stories about how porous the skinwalls are and also problems with bedding the tyres on the rims (not that i have had a problem so far with mounting my tyres).

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Matthew

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've had good results with standard Maxis and Schwalbe tyres with Crest Rims.

I remember reading something about standard Kenda tyres not being suitable with sealant not sure if this has been resolved yet?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Using standard no UST and non TL Nobby Nics and Racing Ralph EVO 2.1s on Roval tubless rims,with Stans.No problems so far and went up easily though sidewall took a bit of sealing.Did the wheel laid on side on bucket trick which got them fully sealed.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo