VN Zephyr

JohnnyV111
JohnnyV111 Posts: 50
edited May 2012 in Your road bikes
bike-march-2012-bikeradar.jpg

Light and comfortable everyday bike - I love it! New groupset for 2012 - thanks to Simon at In-A-Spin.co.uk for the spannering.

Frame: Van Nicholas Zephyr (2009)
Forks: Real Design Signature
Bars: FSA SLK compact
Stem: VN Ti
Headset: Chris King Ti
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins
Seat: VN
Seat Post: VN Ti
Clamp: VN Ti
Rims: Mavic Open Pro Ceramic
Spokes: DT Revolution
Hub: Goldtec Road
Tyres: Ultremo ZX
Chainset: DA7900
Levers: DA 7900
Chain: Ultegra 6700
Front mech: DA7900
Rear mech: Ultegra 6700 grey
Pedals:Look Keo Blade Cromo
Cage: VN Ti

Around 7.5kg

Comments

• milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Nice bike, I also run a Zephyr-had it for a year and put 4000 miles on it approximately and love it.

What do you think of the Ti seat post, I went for a carbon one but it is the one thing that I am considering upgrading.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Very elegant indeed. So nice to see a bicycle for once without deep rim wheels, especially a titanium one.

Now, photo in the proper chain ring and it would get 10/10... :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • JohnnyV111
    Thanks - my garage is on the top of a hill, so I had to use the smaller ring getting up there. Would I have been any faster with deep wheels? :wink:
    Plus sides for the post are it is v comfortable and it colour matches up exactly with the frame. To get that all Ti look to the clamp it uses an unusual system which takes a bit of brute force to get the saddle into. It also weighs a bit more than a carbon one. I'd buy another for sure, though.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Please sort that stem out its criminal :roll:
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    then again looking at the seatpost are you sure the bike is not too small for you?
  • JohnnyV111
    It's a 58cm frame and I'm 180cm - I tried many set ups and the one you see works best for me.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Very nice bike indeed. Enjoy.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Stunning looking build, really well judged. Aesthetically it's crying out for a longer slammed stem, but if it works for you as is, it's more important than the looks!
  • reformer
    reformer Posts: 38
    It's a 58cm frame and I'm 180cm - I tried many set ups and the one you see works best for me.

Super looking bike. I'm same height and building up a 2011 56".The headtube on mine looks quite a bit taller than yours. Maybe they've tweeked the geometry.
  • JohnnyV111
    Thanks for the positive comments - the sizing thing got me curious and so I (ahem) measured the virtual seat tube this morning and it is definitely 58cm. I also measured the saddle height (104cm) and my inseam height (84cm) - the saddle is unusually high for my legs and it looks like I have set up the front end to compensate. Just for fun I've Photoshopped the bike with a more normal set up...

bikeradar-may2012-long-stem.jpg

PS The Zephyr was redesigned with the ovalised tubing a couple of years ago and presumably the head tube length was changed at the same time.
  • JohnnyV111
    Or...
    bike-slammed-long-stem-copy1.jpg