Lower Richmond Road, Putney

northstar
northstar Posts: 407
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
For people who use this road, you might want to be aware of this:

Works due from 17- 23 May:

http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?s ... ssw004.htm
Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers for the heads-up.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    No probs.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    So Sheen High street is being resurfaced, the lower richmond road now has works and the new kings road is half closed.

WTF are they thinking. is this practice for SW londoners for how $hit the traffic is going to be during the olympics?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I thought all London road works were meant to be finishing now for the Olympics, but loads more seem to be being started.
    exercise.png
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I just cycled down the street like every other rider seemed to, dunno if there is an easier option/route.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    iPete wrote:
    I just cycled down the street like every other rider seemed to, dunno if there is an easier option/route.

Same here, doesn't seem to be a problem if you take it slow and look out for peds. All the traffic is stationary so you don't have a problem riding into oncoming traffic.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • raffa cakes
    raffa cakes Posts: 30
    Koncordski wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Same here, doesn't seem to be a problem if you take it slow and look out for peds. All the traffic is stationary so you don't have a problem riding into oncoming traffic.

You're talking about New King's Road I think, out of interest did anyone go via Chelsea Harbour this morning? I haven't been down there for a couple of years, it had the worst surface and I imagine it could lock up with traffic quite quickly, but I didn't really like wrong-waying today.

These LRR works are *not* something to look forward to, all that extra traffic on Putney High Street - I think my plan will be to ride directly off the middle of Putney Bridge, then ride home along the riverbed.
  • cjcp
    Am considering the Fulham Rd tomorrow. The NKR is a shambles.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Chelsea Harbour/Imperial Wharf isn't too bad, but there are temporary lights half way along Townmead Road, so can clog up quickly - as it did last night. Can't imagine Fulham Road will be much fun.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chelsea Harbour/Imperial Wharf isn't too bad, but there are temporary lights half way along Townmead Road, so can clog up quickly - as it did last night. Can't imagine Fulham Road will be much fun.

S'alright.
  • raffa cakes
    According to this NKR will be like this until june 30th:

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/li/ ... l.5216377/

I went via Chelsea Harbour this morning and it was pretty clear but long, took about the same time as inching through the one way yesterday. With the LRR works starting tomorrow a Wandsworth / Battersea route might start to look appealing...
  • cjcp
    Nipped through the side streets to the left of the NKR. Not great. Almost tempted to stay south of the river and come over Battersea Bridge.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Think I've cracked it; stay on NKR until the WBR junction (traffic is bizarrely no worse than normal to that point) and then right down Bagley's Lane and Imperial Road, left at the roundabout, past Imperial Wharf into Lots Road. Was totally clear this morning, from the point I turned into Bagley's Lane; I don't reckon it's dramatically further/slower than the NKR on a good day.

Edit: Of course, this still doesn't solve the imminent LRR problem, but I don't think i can bear to go via Wandsworth...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    cjcp wrote:
    Nipped through the side streets to the left of the NKR. Not great. Almost tempted to stay south of the river and come over Battersea Bridge.

Or Wandsworth Bridge and then up to the Embankment via Imperial Wharf. Was fine this morning, although Armoury Way was chokka.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Or Wandsworth Bridge and then up to the Embankment via Imperial Wharf. Was fine this morning, although Armoury Way was chokka.
    That's my normal route. Better than Battersea as there are no TL's all the way from Wandsworth Bridge to Albert Bridge.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Come and play with me, South of the river! Once passed Wands roundabout I rarely get held up by traffic (Westbound).
  • raffa cakes
    I guess we'll see how bad it is tomorrow... URR -> Felsham Rd -> Putney Bridge might not be too terrible. And on NKR cjcp's side street thing is short at least, if it's what I think it is, rejoining NKR just before Chutney Mary.