Voodoo hoodoo or rockrider 8.1?

azzy666
azzy666 Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all. im in a quandary as to what bike i should get.. i haven't rode on a trail since i was 16, many many moons ago.
i will be looking to hit the beginners trail at afan, when it opens. until then i plan on riding the trail in margam.
so my problem is this, ive £500 to spend on a hardtail, and have narrowed it down to the voodoo hoodoo or the rock rider 8.1. can someone point me in the right direction as to what bike would be best..
im primarily starting riding to get fit and lose some weight. any help or advie given would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers steve... :D

Comments

• snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Rockrider, its lighter i believe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whatever fits best, are both good bikes - but the Rockrider does have the better spec, and is lighter as mentioned.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    i think this weight issue is a bit confusing for people, the Rockrider 8.1 claims a weight of 12.85kg for the small size, obviously the larger sizes will be heavier, its even worse for the Voodoo, whichever size you look at, it states approximate weight 14.1kg, would it be so hard for them to actually weigh individual bikes :|
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • azzy666
    thanks for the quick replies. it would be a small size frame that i would be getting as im only 5.7". if i was going to go for the rock rider, im a bit unsure of the spd pedals. as im a novice, i don't think i like the idea of my feet being clipped onto the pedal. thats my understanding of spd's. please correct me if im wrong. if i was to swap to "normal" pedals :) what would be a good set? and how much would i be looking at spending for them?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    A £5-10 pair of pedals would be as good as the flats that you get stock on a bike normally. You will get something better than the Voodoo pedals if you spend a little more. They arent rocket science, but these Wellgo ones look good value to me: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19214 - wont exactly break the bank.

You may be able to get Decathlon to swap for flats, or it not, sell the SPDs on here and cover the cost of buying decent flats.

The Rockrider is awesome - there is NO comparison at this price.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    I was in the same situation as you, and went for the Rockrider, due to all the good reviews and it being a better spec! The bike has been great so far, Im really happy with it!

Also I bought a cheap but decent pair of flat pedals for Decathlon, which they will fitted for free. I think they were about £9.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • azzy666
    just to update you guys, i went to halfords today to try the voodoo, and ended up spending £150 more than i originally wanted to, i got a boardman comp instead. it felt much nicer than the voodoo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice bike, I doubt you'll regret it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    azzy666 wrote:
    just to update you guys, i went to halfords today to try the voodoo, and ended up spending £150 more than i originally wanted to, i got a boardman comp instead. it felt much nicer than the voodoo

You did exactly the same as me, looked originally at the Hoodoo and the Rockrider, but ended up with the Comp. Great bike!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • azzy666
    :) took it out for a quick spin after i dropped the kids off to school.. its an awesome bike i must say.
    all i need now is to find some ppl whom i can tag along with for a ride or two, that dont mind a 35yr old unfit fatty trailing behind them :)