Think i've lost a nut (and other canyon nerve questions)

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, i think i have lost a nut or bolt or something. There is a recess (not very deep but it does appear to be threaded) on one side of the rear suspension set up where the shock is held in place (see photo). There is something on the other side but not sure if there ever was anything on this side.
Bad side :(
AMBA0079.jpg

Good side :)
AMBA0087.jpg

Is this normal? if not can i live with out the missing part? and if not are they standard parts that i could pick up from B&Q?

Also, my front hub is in need of attention but i can't figure out how to access the bearings as there doesn't appear to be any places for a tool to latch onto. It's a DT swiss AM1900 wheel set but they don't seem to exist outside of canyon and so it's hard to find a manual.
Is anyone familiar with these hubs?

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's the end of the bolt. Looks normal to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The rocker is threaded.

See the info on Mavic in the FAQs for exploded views.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fredy
    Cheers i shall have a look. One other thing, fox recommends servicing the forks every 10 hours of riding. That’s not very long especially when you consider than i have never serviced my epicons and they still work good as new 3 years down the line. Is this really necessary?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fredy wrote:
    Cheers i shall have a look. One other thing, fox recommends servicing the forks every 10 hours of riding. That’s not very long especially when you consider than i have never serviced my epicons and they still work good as new 3 years down the line. Is this really necessary?
    I would certainly have the forks serviced. The minor ones are not hard to do.

Failure can lead to forks hat need new upper assys.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    fredy wrote:

I find if you keep them clean you can extend the fox service intervals to over 100 hours without any hassles. If fact, look after them really nicely and you could be looking at years between services. I had a set of floats for about 2 1/2 years that I finally stripped down when I was going to sell them, and you would barely know they had been used, other than the oil looking a little dirty, despite them having done probably 250 hours riding.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • fredy
    Good to hear! I have checked a few DT swiss manuals and it looks as though to remove the bearing, i hit it with a hammer :s and i need a special tool to fit them back on again. Yay.