Knee/Shin guards

AAG
AAG Posts: 123
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Now my fitness is getting better im going to start going off road a whole lot more, with that in mind i like my shins and knees and i would like to keep it that way.
I was wondering if many of you use knee/shin pads and can anybody recommend a decent pair, and not at a silly price.

Thanks
MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013

Comments

• Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    I don't what you're price range is but Troy Lee Designs T bones are simply awesome. Mine have done me many crashes. You can pick up a second hand pair pretty cheap on pink bike if you keep an eye out.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I just wear knee pads, IMO knee/shins are overkill unless you're just doing dh riding. I catch my shin every so often but that's no big deal and I like the extra cooling I get. I have Fox launch pro, they're great
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    dusk wrote:
    I just wear knee pads, IMO knee/shins are overkill unless you're just doing dh riding. I catch my shin every so often but that's no big deal and I like the extra cooling I get. I have Fox launch pro, they're great

^these. Had them for a couple of months now and there brilliant, really comfy and breath well. You can barely tell there on. I've not had an off with them yet but feel pretty confident that I wont be hurt.... on my knees at least! :mrgreen:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    [deleted]
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I use these
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... m=1&itbs=1

Never had a problem with my legs sweating or getting too hot and theyre nice and comfy too, also very well built. Theyve saved me many times hence the versious scrapes and dings on them lol
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Shins don't take alot of wacks in crashes, it's more accidents with pedals and flung up rocks.

Good knee pads are essential in my veiw, seen people seriously injured in very slow crashes just by hitting there knee's on rocks.

I like the 661 pads myself but all are goof
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Kyle straits for knees. I use these pretty much all the time, unless I'm just doing a really light quick XC ride round the woods or Cannock or something.

I do have full knee/shin guards too. They get used in winter to keep my legs warm sometimes, or if I'm riding purely DH in a very rocky place. Other than that I'm now of the opinion that they're not worth it, they're heavy, warm, get in the way. Having said that they've got some gouges on them so have done good at some point :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    661 Kyle Straits - never ride without them since I bought them - get a little "moist" in the warm weather but fine for most days, dont interfer with pedalling and have saved my knees a few times.

Got some more cash go for the evo 661 pads with the impact gel stuff in them.

I used to have shin and knee guards but never found them as comfy and only wore them in the alps - the knee pads I can wear day in day out - I'd probably only take them off for an ultra long climb in the heat.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    +1 for the Fox Launch Pro knee pads - superb. A mate has the knee/shin version as well which he rates.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Another vote for kyle straits. Though for dh i use 661 race knee/shin pads. One of the times at cannock i didnt bother with them i ended up like this though which wasnt fun

Tom1.jpg
  • trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    I have some IXS Hack knee pads which are really good, after you have worn them in a bit. Saved my knee on a really hard impact once, that I think would have caused really serious damage if I hadn't been wearing them
  • jonny2773
    jonny2773 Posts: 56
    Kyle straits all the time, you can pick a pair up for 30 of flea bay.
  • If you're really intent on knee and shin pads then the Brand X ones are a fairly sensible price. I've had a couple of pairs of these and got on very well with them (although I seem to remember them being a fair bit cheaper...):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10172

(EDIT: actually, they're really overpriced now! Forget I said anything.)

I agree with the above though: Kyle Straits may be all you'd need and they're really decent.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,652
    Majski wrote:
    Another vote for kyle straits. Though for dh i use 661 race knee/shin pads. [/img]
    +1

Those are exactly what I have: Kyles for trail work, 661 Race for downhilling.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]