First Bike - Giant Defy 2

Chubby Rider
Chubby Rider Posts: 27
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Well picked up my first bike today :D

In the interest of comfort I have fitted a Brooks seat and changed the tyres to 25mm (Conti GP 4000S)

Weigh in in the morning and then the slog begins. Hope the bike can hold me!!

In my original thread viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12851844&p=17597911&hilit=defy#p17597911 some one asked for a pic so here you go:

3b58350f.jpg

Looking forward to getting out on it and hope I stick at it and it helps me loose a few pounds :roll:

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Uggg that saddle. I think there is actually a law against putting that on a Defy. However if its comfortable and gets you riding then I suppose substance over style. Good luck with the riding and the weight loss. Hopefully this is the start of something great for you.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    Good luck, I've just got my defy 4 and love it!
  • I have a Defy - I'm sure you'll be fine, they're solid bikes. Also the stock wheels have plenty of spokes and are nice and strong.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Get rid of those wheel reflectors!
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    Good upgrades. Like the tyres. Like the saddle.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Don't think larger Brooks match well with road bikes (too wide) had a Team Pro and that was too wide, went for Swallow, much better. Also yours seem very pointed down, slide down on it?

Remove those ugly wheel reflectors
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Enjoy your bike, good luck with the weight loss, aim for a 1lb to 1.5 lb a week and you will reach your target easily without starving yourself to death. There is a free app calle myfitnesspal that could help you maintain your weight loss programm, the enemy and I found it invaluable and still do.

The bike looks great and the saddle should make things more comfy for you.

I got lambasted on here when I started a thread about moving all the plastic reflector crap on the enemies bike and later on mine, anyway as others have said remove the reflectors just 'cos they look pants.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Great bike - carry on doing whatever gets you onto it and enjoy racking up the miles!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Smalls
    Smalls Posts: 7
    I bought the same bike about 8 weeks ago and absolutely love it!!

Enjoy
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    DavidJB wrote:
    Get rid of those wheel reflectors!
    And the dork disc.

I've had a Defy 3.0 for two and a half years now, I've really enjoyed it, done over 4000miles. Good, sturdy, reliable bike. I've got it just the way I like it, so it must be time for an upgrade now. :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Dork Disk?
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    I assume he means the small plastic spoke protector where the cassette joins the rear wheel.

Good luck with your weight loss I have lost 2 stone in about 5 months fom riding.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I assume he means the small plastic spoke protector where the cassette joins the rear wheel.

Good luck with your weight loss I have lost 2 stone in about 5 months fom riding.

Yep, that's the dork disk, get it gone OP.

Well done on the weight loss Logitech, good result.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    Nice bike not too certain about the seat though :lol:
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I was in Lidl the other day, and they had little tube reflector things to go on each and every spoke. I very nearly bought some just to annoy everyone on here :twisted:
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    houndlegs wrote:
    I was in Lidl the other day, and they had little tube reflector things to go on each and every spoke. I very nearly bought some just to annoy everyone on here :twisted:

That would be a good idea.

I wear my 'dork disc' with pride.

I did take off the bell and reflectors though...