Rockhopper vs Bardman HT Comp

adamkfox
adamkfox Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

looking to buy a bike after a long lay off...enjoy riding trails, will ride along the roads plenty and enjoy doing a few tricks (wheelies, bunny hops, small jumps etc)...based on the sort of riding I will be doing...which one would you choose? Specialized Rockhopper or Boardman HT Comp? Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Boardman is the better bike in my eyes, much better fork in the form of the air sprung Epicon.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I've not ridden either bike and must admit on what i've heard that the boardman would be as sonic said due to the fork be the one to go for but either of them should be capable for what you want .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • adamkfox
    Thanks for the replies! It does seem like the Boardman has the better spec...the only downside that keeps me from buying the Boardman is that it only has a two year warranty on the frame compared to Specialized lifetime warranty (and I have heard good things about the Rockhopper frame) Thoughts?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    boardman, regardless of the warranty.
  • adamkfox
    Well think I might get the Boardman...will go and size up this evening! I think it looks nicer than the rockhopper aswell! Anyone have anything else to add? Also it looks like I'm between sizes small and medium...which would you go for?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The one that feels the most comfortable to ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MyNameIsEarl
    MyNameIsEarl Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    adamkfox wrote:
    Well think I might get the Boardman...will go and size up this evening! I think it looks nicer than the rockhopper aswell! Anyone have anything else to add? Also it looks like I'm between sizes small and medium...which would you go for?

If it's any help, small is 16", medium is 18". I'm 5'10" with a 31" inside leg and the medium's right for me.

Oh, and it's a fantastic bike (I only got it a couple of weeks ago). I say go for it over the Rockhopper. I looked at that as well, but Boardman was better specced and recommended here too.
  • adamkfox
    adamkfox wrote:

If it's any help, small is 16", medium is 18". I'm 5'10" with a 31" inside leg and the medium's right for me.

Thanks!
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    I have a Spesh Rockhopper 2009 and it was my first "proper" MTB. I found it bulletproof, able to handle pretty much anything and totally reliable. I cannot comment in the Boardman so your best bet is to get on them and see which one you like best - ideally you need to take them round a track and see how you get on but that's gonna be difficult. You should, in theory, find little to separate them do it's really down to how you feel about them. Components should be good on both as they are around the same price point

Good luck!
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Rockhopper's are great, but the spec has tailed off now, plus this year spesh have gone all silly with 29ers. Personally if you were going for a boardman, I'd try and find one used. They depreciate fairly well, plus the original owner has the bother of dealing with halfords who are generally not as good at putting bikes together as cycle shops (but your experience may differ).

If you are buying new, have a look also at the whyte 901. They are going at similar money at the moment and really good bikes.