Trying to decided on first mountain bike

Emphursis
Emphursis Posts: 124
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
When I finish Uni for the summer, I plan on getting a mountain bike. I have roughly £350 to spend, which isn't a huge amount, but hopefully it will get me something tough enough to ride in the woods and off road.

From looking online, I've roughly narrowed it down to:
Trek 3500
Carrera Vengeance
Specialized Hardrock
Giant Revel 2
Carrera Centos

I won't be able to actually try/buy anything for a couple of weeks, but are there any other bikes I should consider/discount?

EDIT: Forgot about the Centos, it's the same price as the Vengeance at the minute.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is very little in the Centos and Vengeance, both are specced better than the others, but I'd take a look at the Rockrider 5.3 from Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... 68118.html

For this money a very good fork (hydraulically damped), 27 speed gearing, and some decent parts.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    What about the Voodoo Bantu, using the online code NUSMAY12 it would be £360. Hydraulic brakes and a reasonable fork.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • hunta
    hunta Posts: 35
    I'd consider second hand at that price point. You should be able to get a solid spec (forks, brakes and drivetrain) hardtail for that money which will last longer than paying for the initial mark-up. Check out the classifieds here or on the singletrack site. And don't be put off by names you don't necessarily recognise, but do make sure you know what you're buying and preferably get a buddy with some experience to help. There are plenty of people about with friendly advice if you ask nicely. :D

Oh, and walk away from the first couple you see. It's good practice, and something else will come along soon enough. Sounds like you're not in a huge rush which is a very good thing.

Good luck!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Merlin cycles had some good dicounts on Merida bikes I seem to remember...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    I'll take a look at the Bantu and Rockrider, thank you.

I'm a bit iffy about buying something second hand at the minute, if only because I'm not sure what I should be looking out for, I wouldn't want to drop £300 on something that looks great, only to find there is a huge problem with it.

I had a quick look at Merlin Cycles, and they seem a bit out of my price range at the minute.