Rear shifting issues

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited May 2012 in The workshop
I changed my chain yesterday and now I am having all sorts of problems shifting.

The previous chain was basically knackered! and it needed changing so I did. Now when in the small cog of the cassette and shifting up it wont sit in the 2nd cog and is jumping all over the place up to 3rd cog and when the chain is sitting in the third cog and i shift down it jumps straight to the small cog!

It shifts fine when i am off the bike and turning the pedals but as soon as I put any pressure on the pedals in the lower gears its jumping and slipping all over the place.

Any ideas, i have tried all the usual adjustments and am having no joy.

I am thinking it might be a knackered cassette, but am hoping not as it seems alright when in gears 4-8.

I'm running 2300 (shimano).

please help/any ideas?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I checked the length, it was all good, I was hoping that it wasnt going to be the cassette, but it looks like it is.

So i'll be changing that in the next few days.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    If your chain was as knackered as you say that implies your cassette teeth have worn away to fit the enlarged spacing on the old chain. When you put the new chain on, the cassette teeth couldn't mesh perfectly with it, hence you got the skipping when you placed the chain under load. Fit a new cassette and all will be fine.

To avoid this happening again simply change the chain before it 'stretches' to the point where it begins to erode your cassette teeth.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, had the same. Noticed my big ring was worn, measured the chain, it was stretched, replaced it, skipping like a boxer in training. Decided to put the old one back on until it starts jumping gears a lot then I'll change the rings, cassette and chain all at once.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Given 8 speed chains (is that what you are using?) are so cheap (KMC Z82 ~£8) changing them at 0.75% wear will lengthen the life of cassette and chain rings substainally. It turns out to be cost effective.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.