Scott Spark 35 2011 With Wrong Fox Forks ??

Creatz
Creatz Posts: 17
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone.

Today i bought a Scott Spark 35 2011 (second hand),this bike is suppose to come with Rock shox Reba 120mm, 1 1/8".
Mine came with Fox Forks 32 140mm,but when i spoke to hargrove cycles who looked at it
today,they said the forks are tapered and won't fit my bike as its meant to be 1 1/8" straight through and i have the wrong travel on them.

So i spoke to three different cycles shops about changing them and they said, if it was tapered you wouldn't get them in there with a head set ??? but they are in ??
pictures below

is it tapered ?

1776198b.jpg?t=1337017657

e7b78114.jpg?t=1337017596

6e3d5e4e.jpg?t=1337017621

536ba382.jpg?t=1337017616

Bike spec from Factory

The Scott Spark 35 2011 Features are:

Frame: Spark Carbon Mainframe IMP technology / HMF net / integr. BB 6061 Alloy Custom Butted Swingarm with replaceable hanger / sealed aircraft bearings / 110mm rear travel / optimised SLS kinematic

Rear Shock: DT Swiss M210 / Air / reb. Reb. with Lockout

Fork: Rock Shox Reba RL / Air spring Motion control / Lockout /reb. A. 120mm travel

Headset: Ritchey Super Plus 1 1/8 inch semi integrated 44/50mm

Stem: Scott Comp oversize 31.8mm 1-1/8 inch / 6 degree angle

Speed: 30

Front Mech: Shimano SLX FC-M661-10 / 34.9mm clamp

Rear Mech: SRAM X9 long cage

Chainset: Shimano FC-M552 2-piece Design 42Ax32Ax24T

Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41x89.5mm

Cassette: SRAM PG 1050 12-36 T

Chain: SRAM PC 1031

Front Brake: Avid Elixir 5 185mm Rotor

Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 5 160mm Rotor

Front Hub: DT Swiss XR30 Disc IT

Rear Hub: DT Swiss XR30 Disc IT

Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26 x 2.25 / 67EPI Kevlar Bead Performance Series Front Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26 x 2.25 / 67EPI Kevlar Bead Performance Series Rear

Seatpost: Scott RC 03-60 / 34.9mm

any helps would be brilliant

Paul

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Think hargroves mean the previous owner fitted new forks . Frame only meant for 120mms?
  • Creatz
    yes mate,but they said the forks was tapered ??? and mine should be 1,1/8" straight
    i know the previous owner changed the forks as the bike should look like this from factory

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... 011-p81420
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    That does not look like they are fitted.

Take them off and lets see the bottom of the head tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Is that the bottom cartridge bearing on the picture with the forks fitted?! Ps I think you can fit them with semi integrated 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 external bottom headset.
    Your Headset

Based on the information you have provided, your headset falls within the tapered standard and requires:

Top Headset:

SHIS:ZS44 - 1-1/8" ZeroStack (ZS) Threadless

Bottom Headset:

SHIS:EC44/40 - 1-1/8" ZeroStack to 1.5" Traditional Conversion
    This is the result using the cane creek headset fit finder :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Creatz
    cbe0ede7.jpg?t=1337020035

b7081d39.jpg?t=1337020045

d19916b9.jpg?t=1337020055

50814878.jpg?t=1337020086

c2233684.jpg?t=1337020080

cc8f8072.jpg?t=1337020119

7e6595e5.jpg?t=1337020069
  • Creatz
    and the bits holding it all together

2647a305.jpg?t=1337020631
  • nicklouse
    Looks like you are missing something.

As from your pics I can't see the lower bearing fitting into the head tube.

It looks like the frame is just resting on the Bering in your first set and I see no cup in the second set.

Time to do some measureing and compare to the headset standards.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 386ka
    Wow, how did someone sold it like that?!
    It is tapered. And your frame headset is standard 1 1/8. But, before changing the forks, I would suggest trying the bottom headset I suggested above, or some equivalent of it.
  • Creatz
    nicklouse wrote:

It looks like the frame is just resting on the Bering in your first set and I see no cup in the second set.

Everything i have to hold the forks in place is in the picture above your post.
  • nicklouse
    Creatz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Yes but I can not see the lower bearing fitting in the frame?

Does it?

I think you are missing the lower cup.
  • 386ka
    nicklouse wrote:
    Creatz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Yes but I can not see the lower bearing fitting in the frame?

Does it?

I think you are missing the lower cup.

As with the pictures in the first post, the forks are mounted without the lower cup.

The OP needs a new internal 1 1/8 to external 1 1/5 lower headset.
  • Creatz
    and i think thats the reason the forks fit.
    if there was a lower cup bearing then the tapered forks would not fit ?

so i think the advice from hargroves is correct that they are the wrong forks
    and the advice from westbrook and evans are also correct that the tapered wold not fit with the headset (lower bearing) installed,hence why its not there ?

what do ya think ?

sorry but I'm not massively clued up when it comes to installing or knowing how many bearings there should be.

the big silver ring in the picture came off the bottom of the forks, just to add
  • 386ka
    The lower bearing is installed, it's the "big silver ring". The cup is another thing. The forks ATM DO NOT fit, even if they seem to be "put through the frame".
    Really, they are the wrong forks for the frame. But, and I will say this for the last time, I would recommend, before changing the forks, to try the suggested lower headset above. It may fit, it may not, but it's cheaper than replacing forks. Trying out a headset if your LBS has one like stated, is the best option.

Also, read some info on Sheldon Brown's pages or Park Tools for headset standards. Cheers!
  • Creatz
    edited May 2012
    is this not the lower cup bearing ? (the one on the right)

d7be6811.jpg?t=1337022589
  • Creatz
    well i was planning on buying some second hand fox forks and selling these ones on.
  • Creatz
    i'm with you now, the lower INTERNAL bearing is missing from inside the frame ? but i have the external one.
    but if the internal bearing was fitted then the forks would not go through then.

now i see what people are saying
  • nicklouse
    Creatz wrote:
    is this not the lower cup bearing ? (the one on the right)

d7be6811.jpg?t=1337022589
    No that is just a bearing and should either fit in the frame or in a cup pressed into the frame.
  • Creatz
    i have nothing that pushes into the frame to act as an internal steering bearing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You meant the headset cup (and some bikes don't even have these, these push straight into the headtube.).

There is no lower cup fitted to the frame. And if it was, the bearing wouldn't fit anway as intended.

However a 1.5 external cup designed for a 44mm Zerostack headtube will work.
  • nicklouse
    Creatz wrote:
    i have nothing that pushes into the frame to act as an internal steering bearing

Yes, that is what I have been saying all the time.

You need to sort out a lower bearing assy.
    Like I said get measuring and compare with the info on the headset standards.

The lower headset you linked to might work. But it may also not. You need to do some measureing.

You do have enough spacers on the top.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:

However a 1.5 external cup designed for a 44mm Zerostack headtube will work.
    only if there is enough insertion depth. Which there may not be.
  • Creatz
    you're all stars, thank you for taking the time to reply, and the patience as i get my head around how
    the bearings and the sizes fit into place with headsets.

I'm going to try a conversion kit before i sell the forks and buy some new ones
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    250px-Bicycle_headset_%28threadless%29_exploded_view-en.png

All the various bits. You're missing a few. Personally I'd be a bit pissed off with the seller. The bike is unrideable as it stands.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except the cups (head tube races in the pic above) would look something like this and fit inside and flush with the headtube.
    HD2036.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools