15mm thru-axles - how tight?

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Bit of a stupid question, so bear with me!

Recently acquired a set of 15mm thru-axled forks. Having never used a through axle, I'm not sure how tight you're supposed to do them up. Obviously don't want to strip the thread out of a brand new fork, so thought I'd check.

Basically, when I thread the axle fully into the fork, the qr lever seems too tight to close, at least without really forcing it. Would I be right in saying the axle only need to be threaded into the fork enough to make closing the lever "leaves a mark in your palm" tight (like with qr skewers), or does it need to go the whole way in?
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• vala
    vala Posts: 197
    Fox's service web page says 6 full turns then close the QR lever.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2012
    My Lyriks I think are Maxle 'Lite' and basically as I understand it with those, you screw it in until it feels tight, then lock the lever down. The lever should leave and imprint as with a skewer QR. The tightness of the lever however I discovered is not based on how far the axle screws in but is a little bolt/screw behind the lever that needs to be adjusted if it's not locking tight. The adjuster has small 'clicks' as you adjust and only needs a few small clicks I find.

Many (and I fell into this initially) think the lever just locks and is okay hanging loose. I think some do work like this, but these definitely don't as I found as they kept coming loose. Fiddled with the lever screw and all is good now.

All may vary with different systems though.

I recommend not leaving the axle in place and locked for long periods though as I notice many seem to end up with them seized very tight. I take the front wheel off every trip and it's stored wheel out and axle loose.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Ghostt - what fork is it?
    With the Rockshox Maxle system, as deadkenny said, just screw it in until it becomes tight (it's quite obvious) and close the lever, it should feel about as tight as a normal QR.

deadkenny - you need the grease the Maxle, this happened to me once, it was because the maxle was totally dry. A bit of grease on there (all over it, not just on the threads) will stop this happening.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ghostt
    deadkenny wrote:
    My Lyriks I think are Maxle 'Lite' and basically as I understand it with those, you screw it in until it feels tight, then lock the lever down.

I recommend not leaving the axle in place and locked for long periods though as I notice many seem to end up with them seized very tight. I take the front wheel off every trip and it's stored wheel out and axle loose.

Cheers for that, probably should have mentioned the forks are RS Sektors, so maxle lite too. Didn't pay any attention to how for the axle was screwed in when I took it out the first time.

With the adjustment bolt, would it be better to adjust it so the lever is palm-print tight when the axle is fully threaded into the fork then? Or not make much difference (as I expect)
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Anonymous
    I just did it when it was fully threaded. Probably doesn't matter.
  • Ghostt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    With the Rockshox Maxle system, as deadkenny said, just screw it in until it becomes tight (it's quite obvious) and close the lever, it should feel about as tight as a normal QR.
    Yeah, when I did this the lever felt too tight to close, hence asking! After loosening the axle slightly, about half a turn, lever was about right.
    I can only assume it wasn't fully threaded in when I took the axle out too, as the lever wasn't that difficult to open.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    the axle needs to be fully inserted into the threads. the collar behind the lever should be tight up against the fork. if the lever is difficult to close when its like this, you need to release some force by undoing the small 2 or 2.5mm grub screw inside the lever, only a few turns/clicks.

if you read the manual the fork comes with it explains how to set it up correctly and also you will defo need to grease the whole thing. not loads just a nice smear all over.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Anonymous
    Worth using Copper Slip? i.e. holds in place, but prevents seizing. Rather than regular grease which just is plain lube.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just normal greasy grease. Ask thel33ter about his trials and tribulations.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Normal grease is fine, it's not gonna come undone.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5