A better class of customer is obviously out there.

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I was in a cycle shop near to my home this morning with a list of several things I was wanting, saddle pack, tubes, multitool, puncture repair kit and CO2 inflaters, after I informed a member of staff of what I was looking for, all the while another member of staff was listening, something was said by him that I couldn't hear, then they both started laughing, it seems I was clearly the butt of the whispering and informed them that their childish behavior has cost them a sale, the situation reminded me of the episode of Alas, Smith and Jones when the guy was in the hi-fi shop, " do you want woofers and tweeters with it"?
They both turned a bright red and I left, not before making sure that another potential customer in the shop had heard my lecture, he followed me out, I had money to spend, and I'll spend it where and how I wanted, needless to say, another place wasn't too far away and after 10 minutes I left the shop with my chosen products and without £73 , but, at least I had what I wanted and I was a happy chappy.

Customer relations eh?
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Mark%20Stegall%20on%20his%20bike%20as%20a%20kid.jpg
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Name and shame?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Well done. Stop that, it's rude!

Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    That is the sort of thing that makes me not want to go into shops. I wouldn't judge people for not having knowledge of something I do for my job, but it seems there is a lot of elitism in the cycling world.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    name and shame!

i thought when i started riding just over a year ago that going to a bike shop would not be like going to have your car serviced (since most bike shops are at least affiliated to cycling clubs) so you would think they would be friendlier but i have found that if you clearly are not that experienced you can feel very very stupid and made to feel that way. my fav shop is cliff pratts in hull but is not my nearest and the parking is quite difficult but after recent visits to nearer shops i won't venture far from them, find a good shop get a good rapore and stick with them.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Good man! Only one thing annoys me more than bad service, and that is people who accept bad service. No retailer or service provider gets a penny of mine without earning it.
    Ridley Orion
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    needless to say

partridge_alan.jpg?cda6c1
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • I won't name and shame as I was a regular in the said shop, 2-3 times a month, a good many mates go in there too, so no doubt one of them will mention it or the owner will ask one of them where I am, when he finds out I think there will be an arse kicked.
    I spen my money in Infinity Cycles in Meadowfield, just outside Durham and will continue to go there from now on, great bunch of lads in there.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    I've been in the area for years now and didn't know there was a cycle shop in Meadowfield! Might have to pop in, have they got much in the way of clothing etc? Anyway I find the guys in Cestria cycles to be pretty helpful and knowledgeable, the owner in particular has helped me out a lot and is always happy to give advice. Small shop but they rarely don't have what I want. Worth a try if you want a change...
  • They have comprehensive collection of everything in there, depending on the direction your traveling, turn left just passed Aldersons or right as you get to it, 50 yards down the road, look to the right, just next to a self storage place, they moved from a little shop in Pity Me.

I was in Cestria a few years ago, good people in there too, always ready with advice and assistance.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • Norris-wf
    Norris-wf Posts: 33
    Shame to hear about your story, trying to rack my mind about where it could have been ;-) I've a few ideas. I would have thought that with so many people going to online stores that they would treat customers a bit better...

Another fan of infinity cycles here. They are my local shop too and they are a great bunch of lads. When I first started looking for a road bike Dave in infinity really helped me out, and they are friendly chaps too.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Not really a fan of Infinity to be honest, I was in there a few weeks ago (my first and only visit) and I don't know... I just ended up feeling a bit awkward in there the way they kept looking me up and down.

I'll be sticking with Colin at Cycleways, Newton Aycliffe and the good old internet :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    andy46 wrote:

I'll be sticking with Colin at Cycleways, Newton Aycliffe

how would I find him, been using Bikesport in Darlington (good customer service) and just recently found Mountain High in Ferryhill (very helpful).
  • Colin in Cycleways is a helpful chap to, I was going to get a bike from him last year, then won one in an online competition, his place is odd to find the first time as you think your going into a residential area, well, you are!
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Here's a map to where Cycleways is, hope this works. They do have a website but it doesn't seem to have been updated for a while. They also have a Facebook page if your on there.

http://www.icountydurham.co.uk/profile/ ... Directions
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport