Got off to a good start, until now.

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Well I hadn't done much exercise in 8 months and I didn't slow down on my eating... now I have a wedding to attend in September and a suit to fit in..

It was a few days of bad traffic which prompted the question from my partner, "when will you start cycling?". in that very instant I replied without further ado, TOMORROW!

Friday morning was so beautiful, I stirred at 5am to see bright light through the window. At 6am I decided to get up, a good 2 hours earlier than normal.

When I got to the top of my first major hill I felt like I could vomit, but kept it in for the sake of the elderly woman delivering the papers.

I had opted not to wear my lycra, perhaps because I felt to embarrassed to wear it - but without padding on my hard seat I was feeling a little sore.

I took my DSLR with me, in hindsight I should have stopped on the way to take photos because when I got to work I was locked out and couldn't get in for 30 minutes.

at 7:30am I made it to work!

7175392912_d0449978b9_z.jpg
Cycled to work today :) by dancook1982, on Flickr

Come the time to cycle home, as soon as I sat on the saddle it was painful... so I had to whimper home 12 miles trying not to sit down too much.

Determined to keep it up I cycled again today, in my padded lycra, knowing that if it rains I will just persevere (it won't kill me, will it?).. unfortunately not long after I left work I got a blow out when I hit a pot hole and now I'm back there waiting for a lift home.

Can I expect great things to come from doing 24 miles a day cycling? I hope it doesn't take too long to get up to speed :)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Well done, keep it up. Oh, and rather than a camera carry a spare tube, some tyre levers, a pump and maybe a few patches.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    And remember the cycling photography bible...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Well done, keep it up. Oh, and rather than a camera carry a spare tube, some tyre levers, a pump and maybe a few patches.

This, not sure a honking great 5D and L prime is going to help change a flat tyre, I'll trade you for a slightly worn saddle bag, lever and patches...
  • dancook
    I think I had the tyre levers in my bag :) tomorrow I'll get stocked up and wednesday I'll try again!

I'm actually travelling with a Carl Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon :) I left the 85L at home. I have to take the camera everywhere! you never know :)
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Lovely looking bike, but whats the deal with the white hoods?
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • dancook
    tipped wrote:

White hoods? do you mean the white reflective spoke clips?
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    dancook wrote:
    tipped wrote:

No, he means the bits where you put your hands :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dancook
    dancook wrote:
    tipped wrote:

No, he means the bits where you put your hands :)

hah OK:) they're fine by me!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    dancook wrote:
    I think I had the tyre levers in my bag :) tomorrow I'll get stocked up and wednesday I'll try again!

I'm actually travelling with a Carl Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon :) I left the 85L at home. I have to take the camera everywhere! you never know :)

The f/1.2? That's a *nice* lens.

Keep it up. Your arse bones will toughen up quite quickly and cease to hurt. Quite good fun though to give them a press with a stray finger just to find out how sore they are.

Well, I use "fun" in its broad sense.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dancook
    Greg66 wrote:
    The f/1.2? That's a *nice* lens.

Yup, Canon 85mm 1.2L, along with my Carl Zeiss 35mm 1.4 - I am a happy bunny :)