rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
RLJ stuff is about to hit the press!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... iam-survey

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Everyone* already thinks that we all* already do it anyway. What difference will a misleading press release based on statistically unreliable data make?

Rather depressing nonetheless.

*Words chosen to reflect the accuracy of the press release in question.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    After what I saw on Friday - I would say that the percentage of RLJ'ers is higher.....

Almost everyone I saw jumped a light or rode on the pavement to avoid a light - even the people dressed as 'proper' commuters.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Without kicking this into gear as another RLJ thread dribbling into the twenty page bracket, this is a massively skewed bit of statistics as proven purely by method of data gathering. However I'm sure the percentage is a lot higher than the 1.9% or whatever was the other number.

It's is way too many whatever the real figure though, and is just the most visible red flag that ruins our collective reputations with the massively harrassed commuting motorist.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I bet the 57% don't pay road tax, either!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I bet the 57% don't pay road tax, either!
    I bet 100% of those pesky cyclists don't pay road tax.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Good old IAM, anything that puts the "limelight" on cyclists so drivers behaviour around vulnerable road users can be excused.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    so what? prejudiced drivers won't care what the breakdown is and rant that we're all getting away with road based mayhem at their expense, the uber-campaigny types will claim cyclists are having to do it for safetys sake, (both of which are b***ocks) and the world will keep turning just the same.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Personally, I blame all the non-RLJ'ing cyclists for not criticising RLJers enough!
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone see it on breakfast news?

Girlfriend was talking about it on the phone as I was trying to get her to record the Giro.
  • rjsterry

Girlfriend was talking about it on the phone as I was trying to get her to record the Giro.

Yes. The IAM was trying to emphasise that the point they were trying to make was that some junctions make cyclists feel unsafe - shame his press department didn't bother to put that across in the actual press release.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes. The IAM was trying to emphasise that the point they were trying to make was that some junctions make cyclists feel unsafe - shame his press department didn't bother to put that across in the actual press release.

Funny that.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Made it to the DM; unsurprisingly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2144472/More-half-cyclists-jumped-red-lights-ahead-road-users.html

They've somehow overlooked the facts that 32% of car drivers also RLJ etc. and the usual stream of garbage in the readers comments has started
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The IAM guy was actually pretty fair.

It needed someone to say that the whole poll was garbage, but he's not going to say that about 'his' poll.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    bails87 wrote:
    The IAM guy was actually pretty fair.

It needed someone to say that the whole poll was garbage, but he's not going to say that about 'his' poll.

He had the look of someone clearing up someone else's mess.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I like this one
    I think it is bizzare that cyclists are on the road anyway. I think it is much safer for the cyclist to ride on the pavement with pedestrians. So many accidents happen on the road and the cyclist is not protected by anything. In my area they have put cycle lanes on a few on the pavements which I think is a much better and safer solution. Roads were built for motor vehicles and they still dominate the roads.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    gbsahne wrote:
    I like this one
    I think it is bizzare that cyclists are on the road anyway. I think it is much safer for the cyclist to ride on the pavement with pedestrians. So many accidents happen on the road and the cyclist is not protected by anything. In my area they have put cycle lanes on a few on the pavements which I think is a much better and safer solution. Roads were built for motor vehicles and they still dominate the roads.
    Pedant alert to the converted.
    Roads existed long before bicycles,which existed before motorised vehicles.
    Paved roads were petitioned for by cyclists.
    Pedant over :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    Some other news items based on IAM polls.

http://www.iam.org.uk/news/latest-news

Wonder why no-one has picked up the one about 1 in 10 young male drivers driving while high.

Also, I'd be impressed if any motorist can say, hand on heart, that they have never passed a red light, let alone an amber.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    And here is the actual press release:

http://www.iam.org.uk/news/latest-news/1054-more-than-half-of-cyclists-jump-red-lights

Turns out between a third and a fifth of motorists don't think red lights matter either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    if you feel like give IAM some feedback on their stupidity via twitter...

https://twitter.com/#!/iamgroup
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987

Yep. Managed to stop the missus from going into a rant - she hates cyclists with a vengeance. I'm convinced she would run me over if I strayed into what she considers to be 'her part of the road' i.e anything right of the gutter.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1600 people claiming to be cyclists filled in the poll.

Or 0.012% of the 13 million cyclists in the UK.

Of that 0.012%, 2% claimed to regularly RLJ.

So 0.0002% of cyclists have said they RLJ. Which makes the BBC's proclamation that "Over half of all cyclists jump red lights" look a bit silly.

FWIW, I'm one of the evil 57%, I replied 'yes-once or twice'. I've RLJed once on my bike, and once in my car. Both times at faulty temporary lights that stayed on red constantly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    My views on the IAM can be summed up by this collection of images (shamelessly stolen from elsewhere):

To negotiate a slight bend in the road:
    steering.jpg

To negotiate a long sweeping curve:
    steering.jpg

To negotiate an oil slick covered ice rink:
    steering.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Parroted by Steve Wright on R2 this afternoon: what do you expect really.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185

This I liked:

"The pointless war of the roads between cyclists ("Lycra louts") and motorists ("murderers") has flared again, ignoring the fact they are generally the same people."

This however I suspect may prove less popular:

"I frequently jump red lights, if I endanger no other road users, if it's a choice between that or waiting in the shadow of a revving lorry."

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.