Recon spring and dampner

smegg79
smegg79 Posts: 43
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have 2010 Recon tk coil forks and I have two issues with them, that may be related.

The sping is rather soft, meaning if I put my weight over the bars and push down I can push all the way through the travel

The allen key on the rebound makes no difference either way I turn in.

Is the bottom section of the oil leg just rebound control, and the top section (with the turnkey lockout) deal with the dampner? I rebuilt my old Dart coil forks but never really understood how these two parts work.
At 13 stone ( possibly edging towards 14 :oops:) will a firm spring make that much difference over the stock medium? A few places I have read, and the LBS said coil changes do not have a massive impact.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The bottom is just rebound, which should have an effect on the rebound, but obviously not on the compression. The best approach will be to get a firmer spring. Should make quite a big difference. At 180+lbs you probably need the black X-Firm spring. TF tuned should be able to supply for about £25.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    PS - I don't know why anyone would say changing the spring will have no effect. Going 1 step up might not be a massive change, but a 2 firmness change should be a big difference.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how much sag do you get at the moment?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smegg79
    With quite a lot of preload standing up on pedals its around 15-20%, but when I do stand in a more neutral position hitting a downhill I reckon its around 50%. I have bottomed it out once as it does seem to stack down so very little travel left if you hit something big, or in my case make a mistake!
    Looking at firm as hope to drop below 13 stone with more exercise. Think I had firm in my darts, had a red cap if that sounds right?
  • benpinnick
    Sounds like the spring weight isnt too bad. If the fork is packing down, consider easing off the rebound.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • smegg79
    Rebound does have a small effect. Wound in the preload as much as possible & seems to improve.

The spring is not the simple one that just lifts out, seems to have a rod on the inside so not the same as on TFtuned. Probably a little expensive!
  • benpinnick
    The rods and other bits are removable from the actual spring IIRC.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.