Best Tyres for all round? Trail, and commute?

lighty89
lighty89 Posts: 183
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Guys!

What would the best set of tyres be to buy?
My commute everyday is a mix of gravel, dirt, and tarmac, 2.5 miles each way.

At weekends its same again, mainly light trails nothing too extreme. Gravel and dirt mainly.

Hate punctures from thorns!

Seen the Continental Race Kings 2.2, they look decent and for 19.99 a pair are tempting me!
MTB - VooDoo Bantu
Commuter - Raleigh Grande

Comments

• marksimon69
    marksimon69 Posts: 62
    these are good and cheap too ........ check for which size you are after ... they do a 2.2 also

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48767
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Thanks!

Any more for anymore?
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Kenda small block on rear Maxxis ardents up front.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I commute 4 miles each way to work everyday through an industrial estate (as well as riding at the weekends). I got fed up with punctures so I bought some swalbe marathon tour plus tyres. They have some rubber inbetween the inner tube and outer surface which catches thorns/glass etc and stops them getting to the inner tube.

They are a little heavier than normal tyres, due to the rubber core protection, but I've only had 1 puncture in about 3 years and that was a large thorn (half to an inch long) which only barely got through (mainly because I forgot to drop my tyre pressure before going off road).
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    starbuck wrote:
    I commute 4 miles each way to work everyday through an industrial estate (as well as riding at the weekends). I got fed up with punctures so I bought some swalbe marathon tour plus tyres. They have some rubber inbetween the inner tube and outer surface which catches thorns/glass etc and stops them getting to the inner tube.

They are a little heavier than normal tyres, due to the rubber core protection, but I've only had 1 puncture in about 3 years and that was a large thorn (half to an inch long) which only barely got through (mainly because I forgot to drop my tyre pressure before going off road).

I have these for commuting and I agree with this comment. However I wouldn't use them for serious off road stuff - canal towpaths, nipping across the park and maybe firetrack (at a push) would be fine. This is especailly true for the front tyre where you really want grip when off roading. I guess it depends where you ride of course.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Halo twinrail or DMR moto ?

You'd be down with the dirt jumping kids too.

Especially if wearing skinny jeans that hang down and show your pants.

Awsum 8)
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe