To SS or not SS? Opinions please!

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,664
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Right, I've acquired a new frameset (ok, technically it's used but new to me). Bought on the premise that I'd like a single speed MTB, and figured it would be fun to build one from scratch.

Are they daft things really? Never ridden one off-road, so not sure how useful or practical they really are.

Also, eccentric BB or chain tensioner? I don't mind either solution, and while I know the eccentric BB solution looks cleaner, does it really work as well as a good tensioner and normal chainset?

FWIW, frameset is a Storck Rebelion 1.3 carbon, with rigid Syncros fork. Eccentric BB option is a Phil Wood.... looks lovely, but worth the effort or not?
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    All depends on how fit you are and your gearing as to how practical/ridable it will be, build it ride it and if you don't like it stick gears on it.

chain tensioner for me as I know nothing about eccentric BB.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Wheelspinner
    I'm reasonably fit and ride (relatively) easy terrain, so I'm not that concerned about it being useable. More whether they are a novelty that people build and ride for a month then get sick of it, and go back to geared.

Not a cheap thing to do although I suppose the parts will be easily saleable if I don't like it.

The eccentric BB looks elegant, but I wonder whether even with that the tensioner will still be needed to control any chain shenanigans.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I had a SS loved it, low maintenance, if your not hammering DH etc go for it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are lighter. That's about it really. The extra weight of gears usually makes them more efficient though as you can tailor your cadence to the most efficient - this is why we have gears!

The chains still stretch as they wear on SS. I think the tensioner is thr most practical solution.
  • Really is tied to your fitness level and the terrain you intend covering. Just ask yourself how much you currently shift gears, and whether thats because they are there or through necessity ?
  • Wheelspinner
    supersonic wrote:
    ...The chains still stretch as they wear on SS. I think the tensioner is thr most practical solution.

This is what bugs me about the BB solution. Yes it's adjustable to take up slack if the chain stretches, but who wants to be @r$ed pulling cranks off to do that all the time? Not me..

Think I'll give it a go with just a tensioner then.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or see if you can run a magic gear combo.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wheelspinner
    nicklouse wrote:

Do any of the calculators give you that? Or is it trial and error? Finally found it on a road bike, after much changing of rings and sprockets.. expensive solution really as I used 4 front chain rings before finding a combo that works perfectly.

Chainstay length appears to be 420 mm axle to bb centres.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    You could use a bb mounted roller guide as a chain tensioner.

Like this:

ss001.jpg
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Do any of the calculators give you that? Or is it trial and error? Finally found it on a road bike, after much changing of rings and sprockets.. expensive solution really as I used 4 front chain rings before finding a combo that works perfectly.

Chainstay length appears to be 420 mm axle to bb centres.
    not found one yet.

it just went together.

p4pb3093894.jpg

32/15
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Nice Dennis the Menace horn Nick :D

My SS gears just worked out too:

Bikes010.jpg

edit - 36/16
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'd try SS if I were you. I really love it, and it's surprising how quick you get use to it. My first time up Whinlatter I was seeing stars, now I'm sitting down on the way up. It makes you attack more obstacles too. It's hard to explain but it's nice just pedalling along without the distraction of gears... I think I need to grow a beard and get me some sandals...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    ..eat brown rice, start knitting fog and a quick name change to Peter Kumbayah
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,778
    supersonic wrote:
    They are lighter. That's about it really. The extra weight of gears usually makes them more efficient though as you can tailor your cadence to the most efficient - this is why we have gears!
    Why not use your geared bike and just not change gear when you ride? Then if you change your mind about single speed it's cost you nothing :wink: . As SS says, all it's doing is saving a few hundred grams in weight.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    yeah, personally I wouldn't bother with SS except for on a commuter or dirt jumper or something, certainly wouldn't want to take one on an XC ride.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't retrofit an EBB...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Wheelspinner
    ilovedirt wrote:

Sure you can. Have a look at one of these:

http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/philcentric.php

philcent.jpg

Just fit to your standard BSA English BB (or Italian thread too), and away you go.

Am seriously considering one, since it includes the bearings anyway, so not that much more expensive than a decent BB.

Means any Hollowtech 2 or SRAM GXP crank (with adaptor) can be used.
  • nicklouse
    why not a ENO rear hub? with their disc brake adaptor as i guess you will be getting a SS spec hub anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:

philcent.jpg

Just fit to your standard BSA English BB (or Italian thread too), and away you go.

Am seriously considering one, since it includes the bearings anyway, so not that much more expensive than a decent BB.

This
    "All Philcentric outboard bottom brackets cups require the Phil Wood Philcentric installation tool. (Please Note: This tool is only available to shops)"
    Would rule it out for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

philcent.jpg

This
    "All Philcentric outboard bottom brackets cups require the Phil Wood Philcentric installation tool. (Please Note: This tool is only available to shops)"
    well for you we have this
    http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php
    Exzentriker3.jpg
  • Wheelspinner
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    This
    well for you we have this
    http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php
    Exzentriker3.jpg

Oooooh, shiny. WANT.

About the same cost, and looks remarkably similar to the Philcentric, yet they claim a patent? hmmmmm...

The tool problem isn't such a big deal. My LBS loves me, or more specifically, my credit cards. He's great with giving me access to tools and stuff occasionally.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TBH the whole single speed thing would put me off. My old frail legs need all the help they can get.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools