Coughing after long ride.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I noticed after saturdays ride that I was coughing for a bout 30-45mins following a long ride and thinking about it I often get this cough after exercise but never really thought anything of it. However, after googling I have discovered that it could be a mild form of EIA,(Exercise Induced Asthma).

Now I am not really bothered about it as it doesnt really effect me, but I am wondering if this is the case whether it is acutally effecting my performance. Do you think it is worth booking an appointment with a doctor to get checked out?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nah.

I don't know anyone who doesn't cough after a proper ride.
  • NITR8s
    Im thinking its proberbly dehydration, but the problem is I never get thirsty during exercise. At no point do i think to myself "Ooh I really need a drink", I physically have to force myself to drink.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    NITR8s wrote:
    I noticed after saturdays ride that I was coughing for a bout 30-45mins following a long ride and thinking about it I often get this cough after exercise but never really thought anything of it. However, after googling I have discovered that it could be a mild form of EIA,(Exercise Induced Asthma).

Now I am not really bothered about it as it doesnt really effect me, but I am wondering if this is the case whether it is acutally effecting my performance. Do you think it is worth booking an appointment with a doctor to get checked out?

Yes go and see your doctor because if it is EIA then its preventable; its on my list of things to do because i have the same problem.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It sounds like EIA. I have it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • NITR8s
    I guess I will speak to doctor about it, I am guessing he will say that I need to apply rule No.5.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I get it sometimes after a hard ride or turbo session. If it only lasts 40 minutes I don't think it's EIA.

I'm no medical expert but you've just pushed your lungs to their limits and they just need some time to recover as do your legs.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I sometimes get a bit coughy after the commute or a club ride... I have always just accepted it as 1 of those things but then it's never that severe
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Happens to me as well if I've been working REALLY hard, there is such a thing as Exercise-induced bronchospasm-might be that.

Soon stops when I do suffer from it, just means I've been working hard enough!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    It only ever happens to me shortly after finishing a ride, I've never noticed during a ride. Sometimes it can be really painful to cough for me. I don't find it a big deal,a although I should admit I occasionally use my other half's asthma inhaler, which works a treat :oops:
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Happens a fair bit to me and usually passes in a few minutes but after a recent ride I coughed for most of the night. I just put it down to being an overweight smoker that had ridden a little bit too far too fast :)

OP If you have concerns then it may well be worth checking with the doctor or calling the non emergency nhs number. After all if you thought there was something wrong with your car/bike then you would get it looked at wouldn't you?
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    There is no need to be macho about ignoring asthma. If your airways tighten up through asthma then get an inhaler and use it, it relaxes the airways back to their normal size and makes it easier to get air into your lungs. Furthermore, you don't have to spend ages coughing after exercise, surely that's got to be worth it.

Doctor will be able to test whether you respond to an inhaler after exercise, if you do respond then you have asthma, if not then something else.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • jmdobbs88
    jmdobbs88 Posts: 1
    I've noticed this too after long rides, and I Googled it to get an idea what was causing this and found this forum!. For me, it's not a very deep cough, and it doesn't last long, and it never seems to happen while I'm actually riding. I suspect a couple of culprits. The main one is dehydration, which is often a factor in asthma. When you're dehydrated, your brochial tubes narrow to conserve / prevent the loss of water which of course makes it harder to breath. Getting rehydrated seems to do the trick. Also taking a little salt helps with absorption and also helps break up mucus in your lungs, sinuses and nose. Salt is also an effective antihistimin and since my face, and helmet straps are covered with salt after a long ride, i suspect i need replenishment.
    see: http://www.watercure.com/faq.html

and: http://watercure2.org/histamines.htm

But I also wonder if the cough is due to excess C02 buildup after all that aerobic activity. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm wondering if the cough is an attempt to exhale excess co2. While i'm riding I'm breathing rapdily so that i'm staying oxygenated. After stopping, respiration decreases, but after a long ride there may be more C02 that still needs to get out. Dunno about this theory, just wondering.

(new to the forum)

Mark
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I am wondering too, that what you're saying is, you have probably over researched this problem. All you need to do is go to your doctor and explain your symptoms to them. Or if you have access to an asthma inhaler take a couple of puffs before a ride. If that works then that's all your googling done on the subject. :lol:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Do you suffer from hayfever? I do and this brings on a mild form of asthma when the pollen count is high and I often feel tight chested and coughy after a ride. Anti-histamines are great for itchy eyes and all but I would definitely recommend an inhaler too
  • I'm another one who completely removed such symptoms with a good asthma medication plan. Your local GP surgery should have an asthma clinic where they'll sort it for good. I mean - why suffer at all when you can easily be symptom free?