Been sold wrong size bike?

bala-bala
bala-bala Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm new to biking and have recently bought a mtb through the cycle to work scheme. I'm 5ft11 and was told by the store to get a size 18" and that felt like the right fit. Prior to returning to the store about a month later to pick up my bike with my certificate, I confirmed on the phone to them that I was coming to pick up my Cube Attention 18" bike and they said they just had it delivered so was waiting in store for me.

I didn't know until recently that you can check the size of the bike by looking on the seat post, so I checked mine as I noticed my bike looks smaller compared to others of the same size as me. It says '31.6mm x 400mm 11 E1' on the tube. So I've been thinking I've been giving the wrong size bike, does 400mm mean I've got a 16" frame instead of 18"? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    Your missing something, that would be the size of the seat post, not the frame.
  • bala-bala
    How would I check the size of the frame? I asked the store and they said to look on the back of the seat post.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Cubes have the size written on the down-tube of the frame - the bit of the frame that the seat post joins to the frame.
    Just checked - it's half way down, facing the rear tyre - small font so easy to miss.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bala-bala
    Ah right, will check that then! Thanks for your help!
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Sorry - but it is my name across a number of boards. Makes it easier for mates to recognise me.
    But I do know what you mean.
    So I try to be helpful and stay away from the in-fighting over what bike is best etc etc. In time I hope that new people won't see me as some creepy bloke from the Internet. :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry - but it is my name across a number of boards. Makes it easier for mates to recognise me.
    So I try to be helpful and stay away from the in-fighting over what bike is best etc etc. In time I hope that new people won't see me as some creepy bloke from the Internet. :wink:
    ?
    And ?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    cooldad wrote:
    ?
    And ?

Someone posted after me, about my Board name. They have since gone on and deleted it - making my post somewhat confusing. :lol: