Route Suggestions - Val d'Aran - Pyrenees

Barbes
Barbes Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
I'm going to staying in the Val d'Aran near Vielha in July during the Tour which visits Bagneres de Luchon this year. Apart from going over the Col de Portillon to watch the race I'm hoping to do 2 or 3 day rides in Spain around the Vielha - Bossost area and would appreciate any suggestions from those who know the area. Generally looking at 50-70 miles and happy to do the odd Col.

Thanks

Comments

• Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    There is a very scenic and not too challenging (details below) climb from the Val de Aran to Artiga de Lin. The turn off is at a place called Es Bordes which is on the main road between Vielha and Bossost. There is a fantastic waterfall just before the road finishes and if you want to make a loop of it on the way back approx 5k from the top there is a turning on the right that traverses along the forest high in the mountain which is generally a good tarmac covered road with the odd rough shingle patch that arrives in Vielha.

The information below is taken from another website but I can highly recommend the trip as the views are wonderful.

Artiga de Lin
    The narrow road climbs, following the fast flowing river Joeu through a deeply wooded valley to the scenic mountain cirque named Artiga de Lin. The average gradient is 7.3% but there is a very steep section of 18.5% near the summit. The road surface is good but there is a deeply set cattle grid to watch out for, it is a fast descent and technical in places with narrow sweeping bends.

A few kilometres from the top there is an information point with steps (a few minutes walk) leading to Uelhs Deth Joeu, a deafening waterfall of great power. It makes a good route combined with Bassa d'Oles following a tarmaced forestry road that connects the two.

Starting point: Village of Es Bordes
    Length: 9.1km
    Altitude Climb total: 811m - 1,468m (657m)
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees